Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Hi All

    Introductions - Reminds me when we had to do it as apprentices and one bloke got up and said "My name is Steve, I like fiddling about with motor bikes and going out with girls but not necessarily in that order."

    Anyway my name is Robert I am a professional woodworker, (bit posh actually self employed bloke in a shed, making a living from wood)

    Previous life of engineering, MOD apprentice served metal turner, Degree in Mechanical Production Engineering, 20 years in food industry engineering and production management.
    Redundancy (Best thing ever) then last 18 years in a shed.

    I wish to be educated in the ways of the force (CNC) so that I can build a CNC Router of my own. (I could buy one but what’s the fun in that)

    I think I have a grasp of the mechanics of CNC but the electrics/computer side is a mystery to me.

    The Forum has been a great help already to me. (Not just the CNC stuff). So I thank you all in advance of helping me with my build.

    I have, I think completed the first two rules required to build a cnc machine.
    Rule 1 - Spend no money on the project - I'm not a Yorkshireman but apply the same principles.
    Rule 2 - Learn Sketchup and produce model of machine for everyone to laugh at.

    Before I head over to DIY Router Build Logs to start here are some pictures of things I want to make on my CNC Router. (Really just checking I can up load pictures)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Small Nest Tables .JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	19739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dovetail detail 32mm.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	19740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9152.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	230.9 KB 
ID:	19741

  2. #2
    Hi Robert,

    Welcome to the forum, could have sworn I typed a reply to you a couple of days ago but obviously not!! Anyway, have seen the model of your router design, and commented I think, good luck and I'll be following the build with interest. P.S. electrics are a mystery to me too, give me a spanner any day!
    Neil...

    Build log...here

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by OMLCNC View Post
    I have, I think completed the first two rules required to build a cnc machine.
    Rule 1 - Spend no money on the project - I'm not a Yorkshireman but apply the same principles.
    Rule 2 - Learn Sketchup and produce model of machine for everyone to laugh at.
    Hi OMLCNC

    I am full blown Yorkshire Man and let me tell you that proposed Rule one is the quickest way to waste Money and time. No way to build CNC on the cheap that will be any use. Certainly not one that will work to the standard and produce what your looking to do.

    Rule #2 is spot on regards knocking up design but we won't laugh at it. We will of course pull it apart and probably take the piss out of ya at any chance given but we'll never laugh at design.

    So OM Crack on get drawing and then we can set you on the road to great machine. But start saving or getting used to idea it can't be done on the cheap.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Hi OMLCNC

    But start saving or getting used to idea it can't be done on the cheap.
    I'm having a stab at the budget £2.5 to £3.5K. In the right ball park?

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by OMLCNC View Post
    I'm having a stab at the budget £2.5 to £3.5K. In the right ball park?
    Spot on.

    Posted on your Beever.!!!

  7. #6
    I took the OPs rule one as 'don't spend any money on bits until the design is ready, research done, etc (rather than do it cheaply). Otherwise money wasted on poor choices . . . And no one including Yorkshiremen like to waste it'

    Either way no matter, good luck with it. Perfectly possible to build a machine to do what you want. Trick is not to let machine building become the hobby.
    Last edited by routercnc; 02-12-2016 at 10:20 PM.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I took the OPs rule one as 'don't spend any money on bits until the design is ready, research done, etc ' rather than do it cheaply. Otherwise money wasted on poor choices . . . And no one including Yorkshiremen like to waste it

    Either way no matter, good luck with it. Perfectly possible to build a machine to do what you want. Trick is not to let machine building become the hobby.
    Yep, that is how It was intended, but nice to have a confirmation on the budget, for "She who must be obeyed"

    I'll try not to let it become the hobby, but its all work and shed related - I fully intend to make it pay for itself.

  9. #8
    I see you like to cut dovetails. Have a look through this thread posted by Gerry:

    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7688-...ovetail-joints
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    I see you like to cut dovetails. Have a look through this thread posted by Gerry:

    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7688-...ovetail-joints
    Thanks for that, I am way off the software side of things yet, but glad someone has already done the work for me.
    On length of work, I did this credenza and nest for someone and put dovetails on the end of the top (8 feet long) by clamping the Leigh dovetail jig onto the workpiece and using the router verticaly.
    If you see what I mean?
    But dont think a CNC could do that, well I havent alowed for it in my design. I suppose a rotating spindle thru 90 degrees on anther axis would do it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cn1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	19776

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by OMLCNC View Post
    But dont think a CNC could do that, well I havent alowed for it in my design.
    You don't have to -

    http://www.tailmaker.net/

    - Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NEW MEMBER: On a steep learning curve
    By Laurie in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-09-2016, 05:57 AM
  2. Training / Self learning
    By manofgresley in forum Programmers Corner
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 27-02-2014, 12:25 PM
  3. A learning process
    By cropwell in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 21-02-2013, 06:38 PM
  4. NEW MEMBER: Learning with MYCNCUK
    By Goran in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 05:08 PM
  5. NEW MEMBER: Old timer, still learning, Virginia, USA
    By GerryR in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 13-10-2010, 09:41 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •