Thread: Project Beaver

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Oh and one thing on the costs. I'm not sure what your starting point is regarding kit, but I never factored in all the tools (some of which I had never heard of!!) I would need for the build - they add up! Looks good though - good luck with the build!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    On the subject of detail and having just been working on this bit - I would change your gantry end plates a bit. I had almost that exact design at one stage but changed it to an end plate and a separate plate connecting the ballnut to the end plate (see my last post on my thread if your not sure what I mean). Lining everything up can seem easy in sketchup but as Dean says the DIY factor certainly strikes when your in the real world and you will want to be able to adjust things easily when you are trying to align the screw to the rail.
    I will be doing that then Joe, As all my sketchup learning and practice was done by copying your drawings from your build log on page 15, hence why you recognise the design!
    I now realise why you have changed the design, I was begining to ponder the frame building / gantry fitting together problems but see you have the answer.

    Many thanks again for the advice.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Oh and one thing on the costs. I'm not sure what your starting point is regarding kit, but I never factored in all the tools (some of which I had never heard of!!) I would need for the build - they add up! Looks good though - good luck with the build!
    I see that from your build log.

    Some I have, Metal lathe, Mig & Stick welder, chop saw, bandsaw, pillar drill. Plus all my woodworking machinery. (I wonder if I could put aluminium plate thru a speed sander?).
    I haven’t budgeted anything for additional tools, but basically I am lucky and can justify it on the business. I like your ideas on machining aluminium with basic tools and will be having a go myself.

  4. #24
    Let me just point something out that is easy trap to fall into and one that Joe has made which I hadn't spotted until now.? (Sorry Joe just seen your Video using drill, well done on first movement.)

    You need to leave access to the bearing bolts so the gantry can easily be squared to the linear rails. How joe has it now means to square up he'll be putting twisting action on the bearings because can't get to the bearings because of profile.

    Better way to do this is to split the job and have separate bearing plate which holds the Ball screw mounts etc and then have another plate which is part of Main gantry which then just sits on and bolts to the bearing plates. This can then be drilled & reamed and pinned when everything is square.

    Much easier to setup and take apart if needed. The gantry becomes separate entity which can easily be removed and put back without too much hassle.

    I'll repeat my self because can't be stressed enough ADJUSTMENT, ADJUSTMENT, ADJUSTMENT then some more ADJUSTMENT is key at DIY level to keeping the stress levels low. . .
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 04-12-2016 at 04:23 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  6. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Let me just point something out that is easy trap to fall into and one that Joe has made which I hadn't spotted until now.? (Sorry Joe just seen your Video using drill, well done on first movement.)

    You need to leave access to the bearing bolts so the gantry can easily be squared to the linear rails. How joe has it now means to square up he'll be putting twisting action on the bearings because can't get to the bearings because of profile.

    Better way to do this is to split the job and have separate bearing plate which holds the Ball screw mounts etc and then have another plate which is part of Main gantry which then just sits on and bolts to the bearing plates. This can then be drilled & reamed and pinned when everything is square.

    Much easier to setup and take apart if needed. The gantry becomes separate entity which can easily be removed and put back without too much hassle.

    I'll repeat my self because can't be stressed enough ADJUSTMENT, ADJUSTMENT, ADJUSTMENT then some more ADJUSTMENT is key at DIY level to keeping the stress levels low. . .
    Bugger.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    Bugger.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You way is better Dean but I have thought about this... the bolts which connect the end plates to the plates on the x rail bearings can be loosened and shimmed... not as easy but hopefully possible!?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeHarris View Post
    You way is better Dean but I have thought about this... the bolts which connect the end plates to the plates on the x rail bearings can be loosened and shimmed... not as easy but hopefully possible!?
    In your case then yes Joe about the only thing you can do. But this just highlights another less than ideal situation with this approach.?
    The gantry isn't bolted into the bearing plates and completely relying on the end plates to stop twist etc. Also not being securely bolted to the plates leaves gaps which can vibrate and introduce place for resonance.

    Adjust is important but equaly so is being securely bolted and secured. Having one doesn't mean can't have the other just requires some careful thought and planning.

  9. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    In your case then yes Joe about the only thing you can do. But this just highlights another less than ideal situation with this approach.?
    The gantry isn't bolted into the bearing plates and completely relying on the end plates to stop twist etc. Also not being securely bolted to the plates leaves gaps which can vibrate and introduce place for resonance.

    Adjust is important but equaly so is being securely bolted and secured. Having one doesn't mean can't have the other just requires some careful thought and planning.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #29
    Joe please don't stress too much over this. My comments where more to help others avoid similair issues and not to pull you down or have you start with major redesign etc.

    Now you have it done this way then I'd suck it and see. If the gantry is long way from square then you may need to do some shimming. Anything you can do to make sure Y axis is 90Deg to X axis the better. Try to avoid using the screws to square the gantry as it will put binding on the bearings etc.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:


  12. Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Joe please don't stress too much over this. My comments where more to help others avoid similair issues and not to pull you down or have you start with major redesign etc.

    Now you have it done this way then I'd suck it and see. If the gantry is long way from square then you may need to do some shimming. Anything you can do to make sure Y axis is 90Deg to X axis the better. Try to avoid using the screws to square the gantry as it will put binding on the bearings etc.
    Thanks Dean, I figured I would suck it and see just wanted to talk though the options if needed...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. FOR SALE: CNC project
    By amxen in forum Items For Sale
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 20-12-2015, 09:19 PM
  2. Beaver NC35 Mill
    By sshep71 in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-06-2015, 04:13 AM
  3. Bound Quill on a Beaver BVRP
    By 87bob in forum Milling Machines, Builds & Conversions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2014, 02:51 AM
  4. NEW MEMBER: Logging in to follow Andre's Beaver mill conversion
    By Damocles in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2010, 01:32 PM
  5. Beaver on eBay
    By irving2008 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •