. .

Thread: Project Beaver

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Project Scope: To build a CNC Router capable of cutting English Hardwood and Aluminium at speed. (faster than I can machine in Jigs and fixtures) with accuracy and good finish. Capable of using large profile bits,50mm diameter and full depth single parse cuts (Dovetails currently 32mm but would like to do bigger).

The Design:
    (Fall about laughing if you like but just another thank you to the forum for allowing me to copy from other members, you will recognize who you are).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoSave_CNC MACHINE DESIGN 4.jpg 
Views:	683 
Size:	251.6 KB 
ID:	19756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoSave_CNC MACHINE DESIGN 4.1.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	19757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AutoSave_CNC MACHINE DESIGN 4.2.jpg 
Views:	668 
Size:	338.0 KB 
ID:	19758
    Outline: Footprint to be 1200 x 1200mm, Machining area (Red)1150 x 600mm, Machining overhang 100mm (For cutting dovetails as shown, possibly two components at once, am I mad!).
    Size determined by space in workshop, I do make larger work but can let it hang outside machine area.

Component Guessing:
    Welded Frame 80 x 80mm steel box section, Adjustable Feet
    Welded Bed 50 x 50mm steel box section.

X axis:2 x HGR20 Rail x 1200mm, 4 x Hiwin HG20 carriage (on epoxy levelling),
    2 x RM1610 Ballscrew x 1150mm (Nut, Bearings etc), 2 x Nema? Motors, 2 x Pulley Set , 2 x Belts.

Y Axis: 2 x HGR20 Rail x 850mm, 4 x Hiwin HG20 carriage, On 2 x 45 x 90mm Aluminium Profile. 1 x RM1610 Ballscrew x 750mm (Nut , Bearings etc), 1 x Nema? Motor, 1 x Pulley Set, 1 x Belt.

Z Axis: 2 x HGR20 Rail x 400mm, 4 x Hiwin HG20 carriage, On 20mm Aluminium Plate. 1 x RM1605 Ballscrew x 350mm (Nut Bearing etc), 1 x Nema? Motor, 1 x Pulley Set, 1 x Belt.

All other components from 20mm Aluminium Plate.

Spindle – has to be ER20, water cooled, 3Kw?

Review:
    Suggestions and feedback welcome on design.

Issues to be resolved:
    1. Do I want an adjustable bed ? - Pros and cons?
    2. Overhang at end of machine? - Right, Wrong, Better suggestions?
    3. Motors, what size?
    4. Can I put off doing electrics/computer side of thing until I have finalised design?

I will not be purchasing anything until final design completed and every component drawn, nuts bolts etc and simulated assembly carried out. To make sure it can be built.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Issues to be resolved:
    1. Do I want an adjustable bed ? - Pros and cons?
    2. Overhang at end of machine? - Right, Wrong, Better suggestions?
    3. Motors, what size?
    4. Can I put off doing electrics/computer side of thing until I have finalised design?
    Looks like you have done your homwork
    1) My machine is quite similar to yours with an adjustable bed. But I have never had any occasion to alter it, I you do alter it you have to get it level again and resurface.

2)That to me seems OK.

3) Nema 23 all round with low inductance and decent drives (AM882 or EM806) are good BUT think about moving them to the back of the machine and (if I had my time again) change the X to 1 x nema 34 and use long belt for the two screws. This give you a better choice of motion controllers and less problems with homing etc.

4) I would not buy or start any of the electric stuff until the main frame is built as things change over time.

Good luck with the build.
    Last edited by Clive S; 30-11-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks for the advice and feeback Clive

3) Nema 23 all round with low inductance and decent drives (AM882 or EM806) are good BUT think about moving them to the back of the machine and (if I had my time again) change the X to 1 x nema 34 and use long belt for the two screws. This give you a better choice of motion controllers and less problems with homing etc.

I will have a redesign based on your comments, stick with fix bolted bed that could be movable in the future to cover all options.
    Last edited by OMLCNC; 30-11-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I have about 4 positions that I can mount my bed in (bolted) But never need to move it. machine 1600 x 1000
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hello! Your design is very similar to the one I am building. Real nice work!

Have a doubt about the y axis being 45x90 profiles, even if used in L formation I think it might be to flimsy for fast alu cutting? Please correct me if wrong :)

Also I think you may benifit with more bracing by the x rails and bed.. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Nr1madman View Post
    Also I think you may benifit with more bracing by the x rails and bed.. :)
    I agree, and will add some more, but this morning Sketchup seems to have a mind of its own, I am still learning about it.
    Will post revised design.

Your other point about y axis being flimsy, possibly true, but I only want to cut wood at speed. Should I change to steel? Any builds to look at?

I think you can just upsize the profiles. Usual size for strong L gantry seems to be 2x 80x120 profiles. When I think about it that seems large, maybe I have misunderstood :D

Looking good, my only comment is I think you'll regret it not being able to machine 1200 x 600 especially as you're nearly there. My machine can (just) do 1000 x 600 and I wish I could put 1/4 sheets of wood in to machine!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Looking good, my only comment is I think you'll regret it not being able to machine 1200 x 600 especially as you're nearly there. My machine can (just) do 1000 x 600 and I wish I could put 1/4 sheets of wood in to machine!
    Ok Neil, I can get the extra length in the workshop so I will change the design to use 1400mm HGR20 rails. I can see from the forum that some people rattle off a machine in a mouth and some people never get finished. It's a constant loop of reading, learning, redesigning etc, etc, but it only costs time. I'm finding it very useful to do a "Bill of Materials" as I go for costs and to make sure I haven't forgotten anything. I'll post it when I finish that and the next revision design.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information