. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yep, i was thinking of getting one myself at some stage.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Davek0974 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PAULRO View Post
    Hi Al, that's impressive,
    my son has signed up to buy a glowforge ( a waste of time and money i think)i'm hoping to change his mind so i'm researching options for him. he has a fledgling architectural company started and wanted a laser for model building. i finished a course in cnc/laser cutting sometime back and can see the potential for model building. the course did not include any maintenance or optics setup so i'm wondering is it much of hassle? any info would be greatly appreciated. also is there a chiller required for the tube. and if so , is it supplied? i seem to remember a water chiller to cool the laser tube on the course i did ( trotec laser, lasersaur laser) . i heard that a air jet is also required to stop the material from catching fire, is this true? i spoke to a laser owner near me and he uses an air jet on the material being cut to prevent fire. last but not least , is there an extraction method for the fume supplied? sorry for all the questions but i'm trying to get as much info about the machine you bought because it looks a bargain and i am putting together a costing to convince my son.

paulro
    Hi Paulro,
    Glad to see another Irish based member on the forum,

The machine I have, would I class it as a bargain, well yes. The reason this brand of machine is appearing at bargain prices is because the company that makes them have gone out of business, I really wouldn't let that stop you from buying one if you so wished because any spare parts needed are easily obtained.

Now you do have to take in to account the fact that this is a chinese machine and you will probably have to tinker with the setup and adjustments and probably replace some consumables for better quality ones, such as the mirrors and lens but the are not expensive.

The machine I have came with a huge extractor fan that mounts outside of the machine and connects by a large bore flexible pipe. Fume extraction is very important, some fumes created on certain items can be very unpleasant and toxic, I vent the fumes outside through the workshop wall.

There is an air pump supplied that supplies sufficient flow to ensure there is positive pressure in the cutting nozzle (stops smoke damage to the lens and prevents material being cut from combusting) for cutting things like acrylic but better airflow is required to help deeper cutting on material such as ply and mdf.

The coolant method for this machine is an aquarium style pump that I have in a large container filled with 20 litres of deionised water fine so far but then again it never gets that warm in Ireland does it :-)

The machine also have a coolant flow sensor that prevents the machine from operating if it detects no coolant flow.

The optics are not that difficult to align. If you want to see some very informative videos on youtube then search for the Sarbar multimedia channel, excellent info and tutorials from Russ.

Any more questions just ask, if you want to have a look at my machine I am based in Roscommon.

Cheers

Al

4. The Following User Says Thank You to alboy For This Useful Post:

cheers for the quick reply allboy, i'm getting all the puzzle pieces together at the mo. but i'll surely check back with you if that's o.k. it's good to know that your up and running successfully. the more info i have the better so i can persuade my son to go in this direction. thanks again.

hi allboy
    is there any chance of some pics of the work this laser can produce? can it do shading work as in reproducing photos on wood? i know it cuts and etches lines on material but does it do infills?

thanks in advance
    Paulro

My lad has just bought one of these from Ebay and the usual Portsmouth delivery which must be true as it arrived in 3 days.

It's the big version of the A3 50w one that I have which has given virtually no trouble in the three years I have owned it.

I was tempted to sell mine and get one of these but can't do it with moving to a smaller house. not even sire where my 50w one is going to go, tempted to put a lightweight workshop in the attic, can get away with it as it's an old Victorian house.
    John S -

Any pictures or progress reports yet? :)

Just been watching some of the Sarbar videos and got me thinking to building my own machine, that fell flat when i realised that there was no way to ever put that amount of parts - motors, drives, psu's, controller, lenses, mirrors, motion work etc together for anywhere near what these machines cost on eBay, it's just impossible.

A far better option is really to buy one and fine tune it I feel.

Now, if i can only find a reason to get one ........

Hello,I was thinking of purchasing a Chinese machine,I'm new to CNN lasers etc,and,I just found your posting,Was it Ebay you bought it of?Can you post any images of things that you have done with this machine?I live in Belfast ,I would love to see it operating,can I keep in touch with you,for help and advice?
    Paul

Just hit your Ebay link,no longer in stock.,They were being shipped from Germany,someone said they got a similar spec machine,on eBay,shipped from Portsmouth,can't find the link

Hello all

Not been on a while, suffering complications after tooth extraction would you believe. I hope to do a video of the machine in action soon, If you want to ask me anything Paul or Paulro just PM me, If you want to see the machine in action you are more than welcome, have a CNC as well if you are interested in those, so far I have cut 6mm ply, up to 6mm acrylic, 18mm softwood, 6mm MDF and etched glass and mirror, jsut practicing with engraving photos.

Cheers

Al

Quote Originally Posted by alboy View Post
    Hello all

Not been on a while, suffering complications after tooth extraction would you believe. I hope to do a video of the machine in action soon, If you want to ask me anything Paul or Paulro just PM me, If you want to see the machine in action you are more than welcome, have a CNC as well if you are interested in those, so far I have cut 6mm ply, up to 6mm acrylic, 18mm softwood, 6mm MDF and etched glass and mirror, jsut practicing with engraving photos.

Cheers

Al
    Thanks,your laser machine is out of stock on eBay,what size of cnc machine do you have,can I asked were you got it from.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information