. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I bought some :

BLACK MALLEABLE IRON REDUCING PIPE FITTINGS BSP - SOCKET, BUSH, TEE, HEX NIPPLE
    ( 111520014759 )

Fitting Type: REDUCING BUSH

Size: 1/2" x 3/8"

When they arrived I was surprised my 3/8" male threaded pipe didn't fit ?
    So I emailed the vendor and said although you have 1/2" to 3/8" stamped on the Bush its actually measures 14.1 which I think is 9/16 0.5625 or 14.2875mm well near enough.
    Anyway I emailed the guy and this was his reply

hi David, there is no such size as 9/16" , the fitting is correct just check . (there is sizes cast on fitting one side of hex part)
    1/2" X 1/4" bushes have a inside 11mm if any better for you.

Here's me thinking 1/4" was 6.35mm ?

I'm confused

Pic attached

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20161202_14_39_40_Pro.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	484.6 KB 
ID:	19768

As Robin has stated an interest in "having fun" I withdraw my earlier request...your all now free to continue with lessons and raucous finger pointing !! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    Hold on indeed, you ask if you are being dumb and then say, "No need to answer" ???

Where's the fun in that? :)
    Last edited by Fivetide; 02-12-2016 at 04:56 PM.

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hi there,
    they have sent you a 3/8 fitting, the fractional inch number refers to the inner diameter of tube that would have once screwed in the fitting(back when pipe was made slightly thicker)

confusing isnt it!

Ah bsp claims another victim! :-/ :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jamesgates1000 View Post
    Hi there,
    they have sent you a 3/8 fitting, the fractional inch number refers to the inner diameter of tube that would have once screwed in the fitting(back when pipe was made slightly thicker)

confusing isnt it!
    Just figured that out before u posted lol thanks anyway :)

Now I need to reduce again from BSP 3/8 to a normal everyday 3/8 thread ..any suggestions well more like what the hell do I buy ??
    Last edited by Fivetide; 02-12-2016 at 04:49 PM.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Fivetide View Post
    *** ok no need to answer ... I now realise that BSP has nothing to do with normal sizes ..WHY CANT THINGS BE SIMPLE !!!
    Hold on indeed, you ask if you are being dumb and then say, "No need to answer" ???

Where's the fun in that? :)

Could you clarify what you are trying to fit to what? Somehow from what you've said you I don't think that you will find an off-the-shelf fitting but if we know what's needed it will be easier to advise. For example, is your "normal everyday 3/8" thread" UNC, UNF, BSF, BSW? Not to mention the finer threads in the ME series... Or maybe nearest metric size? It's all a bit of a rat's nest

BTW, I don't know of any thread where measuring the inside of the thread (as per your picture) will give you a recognisable dimension. Usually threads are measured over the outside - in effect, the diameter of the rod that an external thread was cut on. You can use internal diameter to find actual thread size but you will need to know what you are looking for in thread tables (possibly core size, give or take a bit of clearance).

https://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat7.htm

Major and minor diameters plus all the other dimensions you could need ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Could you clarify what you are trying to fit to what? Somehow from what you've said you I don't think that you will find an off-the-shelf fitting but if we know what's needed it will be easier to advise. For example, is your "normal everyday 3/8" thread" UNC, UNF, BSF, BSW? Not to mention the finer threads in the ME series... Or maybe nearest metric size? It's all a bit of a rat's nest

BTW, I don't know of any thread where measuring the inside of the thread (as per your picture) will give you a recognisable dimension. Usually threads are measured over the outside - in effect, the diameter of the rod that an external thread was cut on. You can use internal diameter to find actual thread size but you will need to know what you are looking for in thread tables (possibly core size, give or take a bit of clearance).
    Ok Neale thanks for the reply, I'm trying to get to a point where I can screw in a 3/8" bolt to the bush after I've ground the head off and fit it into a chuck capable of taking up to 13mm. if that makes sense ?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Have a look at https://www.bes.co.uk/products/160.asp. You might find something like an end plug you can drill and tap to your 3/8 bolt. Maybe you could just weld or braze the bolt on.

Oh the joy of BSPP BSPT and NPT. You can learn more at http://www.newmantools.com/taps/bsp.htm

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 02-12-2016 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    Have a look at https://www.bes.co.uk/products/160.asp. You might find something like an end plug you can drill and tap to your 3/8 bolt. Maybe you could just weld or braze the bolt on.

Oh the joy of BSPP BSPT and NPT. You can learn more at http://www.newmantools.com/taps/bsp.htm

Cheers,

Rob
    Hi Rob yep thought about these methods but if it out of center it would cause problems, I might take them into the local iron mongers find the right bolt and then find some kind person with a lathe to turn one end down to 10mm.. path of least resistance etc.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information