. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. For Computer-Aided Manufacturing of trispokedovetiles, I've published a Javascript web-page -

Trispokedovetiles: CNC code to cut tiles web-page G-code generator [LINK]

- which generates Computer Numerical Control (CNC) code which I've tested with CNC Simulator Pro [LINK] but not on a real CNC cutter as yet.

In case you are wondering what a "trispokedovetile" is, it is the name I have given to a class of 3-spoke dovetailing tiles which fit together like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trispokedovetiles_3x3D.png 
Views:	220 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	19833
    Last edited by Peter Dow; 01-07-2017 at 09:38 AM.

Then image says Hexagon 100%

The parameters ask for a mm input????
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Mach 3 can't read the code.
    John S -

I edited out the stuff that stuffs Mach3's interpreter and the path looks OK but if I use a cutter with a positive diameter then there will be gaps of cutter width between the tiles once assembled, so for a router to cut the tiles they would need to be arranged as densely on the material as possible but not in their assembled pattern.

- Nick

5. Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Then image says Hexagon 100%
    My method for specifying a particular shape of trispokedovetile is to specify the "CIRCLE" length as a percentage of the "HEXAGON" length, as illustrated in this diagram.

This image shows trispokedovetiles with CIRCLE = 130% - in other words the length of the diameter of the (partially drawn) circles is 1.3 times the maximal diameter of the (partially drawn) hexagons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEXAGON100.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	19844

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    The parameters ask for a mm input????
    Yes of course. My CAM webpage needs to know what actual sizes are intended to be cut to generate the correct CNC code.

So you type in what is the length in mm of the HEXAGON maximal diameter, what length will be equal to "100%"?

It's like if I tell you "the width of a rectangle is to be 100% and the length 130%".

Fine but before you can cut the rectangle from a sheet you need to know what length 100% is to be in mm.

6. Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Mach 3 can't read the code.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    I edited out the stuff that stuffs Mach3's interpreter
    Yes there's text in there which is needed for CNC Simulator Pro, which won't mean anything to a CNC machine and should be edited out.

#region
    $Millimeters
    $AddEmbeddedRegPart 9
    $SetCuttingWidth 1.2
    #endregion

But I include it in my webpage code generation in case anyone wants to test the code on CNC Simulator Pro, which is the only place I've been able to test it.

UPDATE: I've updated my webpage to include a yes/no "+ simulator commands" option which if set to "no" will automatically edit out the text intended for CNC Simulator Pro.
    Last edited by Peter Dow; 07-12-2016 at 01:20 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    and the path looks OK but if I use a cutter with a positive diameter then there will be gaps of cutter width between the tiles once assembled, so for a router to cut the tiles they would need to be arranged as densely on the material as possible but not in their assembled pattern.

- Nick
    Yes that makes sense.

So to aid cutting with a milling router bit I should add a new code generator option for "densely arranged" as opposed to "as assembled".

I have read that with laser cutting, the kerf width can be of the order of 0.5mm or even narrower, is that right?

So it might it be the case that for some cutting methods, such as laser cutting, if the kerf width is narrow enough, the code as is, would allow the tiles to be cut in their assembled pattern?

Such interlocking tiles probably require to be slightly smaller than the mathematical shape to allow for tolerances because if the tiles are in any way too big, they definitely won't assemble wheres being slightly too small may be necessary?

On the other hand, if cutting very small tiles, then a laser cut kerf width would become relatively bigger and perhaps then the undersized tiles would not interlock together, being too loose, meaning that once again, a "densely arranged" cutting option would be needed?
    Last edited by Peter Dow; 06-12-2016 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Dow View Post

It's like if I tell you "the width of a rectangle is to be 100% and the length 130%".

Fine but before you can cut the rectangle from a sheet you need to know what length 100% is to be in mm.
    Now you explain it it makes no sense at all.

What about needing a near zero tool diameter?

This code kind of works for a single tile,
    ================================================== ====
    (CNC program to cut Trispokedovetiles by Peter Dow.)
    (© Peter Dow. Caution - no warranty! Use at your discretion.)

(CIRCLE % = 118%)
    (HEXAGON Length = 20 mm)
    (Number of Rows = 1)
    (Number of Tiles per row = 1)

(CNC Code BASIC)

G00 X6.34 Y90.00 (Fast traverse)
    M22 (start cutting)
    G4 P100 (dwell 100 milliseconds)
    G01 X6.34 Y88.20 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G03 X16.56 Y94.10 I0.00 J11.80 (Arc interpolation)
    G01 X15.00 Y95.00 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G01 X15.00 Y96.80 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G02 X25.22 Y90.90 I0.00 J-11.80 (Arc interpolation)
    G01 X23.66 Y90.00 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G01 X22.10 Y90.90 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G03 X22.10 Y79.10 I10.22 J-5.90 (Arc interpolation)
    G01 X23.66 Y80.00 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G01 X25.22 Y79.10 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G02 X15.00 Y73.20 I-10.22 J5.90 (Arc interpolation)
    G01 X15.00 Y75.00 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G01 X16.56 Y75.90 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G03 X6.34 Y81.80 I-10.22 J-5.90 (Arc interpolation)
    G01 X6.34 Y80.00 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G01 X4.78 Y79.10 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    G02 X4.78 Y90.90 I10.22 J5.90 (Arc interpolation)
    G01 X6.34 Y90.00 (Linear Feed Traverse)
    M00 (Stop cutting)

G00 X0.00 Y100.00 (Fast traverse)
    M30 (Program End)
    =============================================

except that the inside corners will have the radius of the cutter so the square outside corners will not fit together with them.

EDIT- yes, probably good for a laser cutter which uses G-Code, but the paths will not work for rotary tool machines because square outside corners will not fit radius inside corners
    Last edited by magicniner; 06-12-2016 at 11:54 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,725. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Does the package allow for rounding external corners to match the inevitable rounded internal corners?

It all reminds me of this, again based on deformed hexagons but with no symmetry (although in that case the guy took a very roundabout route to generate his gcode). Both designs are necessarily a bit wasteful as you cannot cut the interlocked figures and you just have to try to fit them on the material as best you can. I recreated this latter design from scratch to use for sets of coasters which will then interlock across a table-top. The design in this thread would work quite well for the same kinds of things.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

12. Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    What about needing a near zero tool diameter?
    except that the inside corners will have the radius of the cutter so the square outside corners will not fit together with them.

EDIT- yes, probably good for a laser cutter which uses G-Code, but the paths will not work for rotary tool machines because square outside corners will not fit radius inside corners
    Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    Does the package allow for rounding external corners to match the inevitable rounded internal corners?
    What you see on that webpage is all that I have at the moment.

It is what it is and if that is of aid to someone in manufacturing some things in some ways but not other things in other ways then that's OK with me because I am not offering any warranty with the software.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information