. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi All -

Self taught CNC enthusiast from the US. I've built 2, 3 axis routers and I'm getting ready to start my 3rd one. I sold the first one and I'm using the cash from that to offset/fund the cost of the 3rd build. All 3 machines use rack and pinion drive.

I like this forum and I've been inspired by some of the machines built here and especially the level of assistance offered by some of the forum members. Hopefully I can pay it forward a little and contribute something useful. However any measurements I may post will need to be converted to metric units since my tape measure is marked in inches/feet.

Just as an aside, I was in the UK a few times back in 1994. Saw a little of London and Salisbury Plain area(?) Beautiful country.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Just as an aside, I was in the UK a few times back in 1994. Saw a little of London and Salisbury Plain area(?) Beautiful country.
    Ah but you was down with them southern nacy's you should have come North to Yorkshire to see Gods Own Country for the real beauty of Great Britain.

Welcome to the Forum I've never been to US but spent many hours whinding up your fellow country men on CncZone and have made several good friends in states also quite few who would probably shoot me on site so got no desire to come visit . . Lol

And Don't worry about the imperial measurement system we invented it you know and the dark side of the Force is still strong in some us.

Wait a minute Jazz ! He may not have known there was anything south of the Watford Gap as most southern maps have "Past here , there be Dragon's" .. so you cant blame him for not seeing the really beautiful parts of Britain lol :P

Welcome 1Jumper10 we get a lot of folks from the colonies on here :) Hope you enjoy

Fiction is far more plausible when wrapped around a thread of truth

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 6 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,726. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Yup, just make sure you use the transatlantic CNC phrase book:

X is Y
    Inches is millimetres
    Gecko is Leadshine.

Then you'll be fine!

Welcome on board, anyway - look forward to seeing what you are doing. If you're on Mark3, you must have learnt a lot by now!

HaHa. Thanks all. Happy to be here.
    This is "MK2" (?). I built it for a friend of mine and and it resides in his workshop. Still needs some refinements and a work surface.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLkxSPmlEig

MK3 (? why not?) is going to be mostly steel and a little heavier.

Wished we could get those Clear Path servos over here at sensible money. I contacted Clearpath but they wouldn't supply into Uk unless ordered enough to fill my warehouse and put me in touch with Us company who wanted stupid Money.

Hmm? yeah that sucks. I see a lot of guys on your side of the Atlantic struggling to get the right epoxy hardener as well. There is a guy here in the states that I got my epoxy from that might export?? Its Mike at Precision Epoxy.
    I have no idea of the import/export laws and how they apply but, would it be possible to receive a "gift" of an item such as a ClearPath servo sent from one private individual to another?

I have no idea of the import/export laws and how they apply but, would it be possible to receive a "gift" of an item such as a ClearPath servo sent from one private individual to another?
    Epoxy is no problem in Uk but in parts of Europe I'm not so sure.

Regards the ClearPath and "Gift" I'm not sure but we could try if you want to send me some as Gift. .Lol
    What kind of Money do they charge in States for clearpath say around 2 or 3Nm.?

https://www.teknic.com/model-info/CPM-MCVC-2321S-RLN/

3Nm is about 424 oz/inches. They want $284 plus shipping for the one in the link. Coincidentally, this is the same servo that is on my Z axis in the video link. That ballscrew actuator is a 5mm pitch screw. ClearPath makes essentially 3 different versions of each model: A high torque model, a high speed model and an intermediate model between those two. The "S" model linked in this post is their high torque version.

Erm with state of £ - $ at moment makes them quite expensive. Could probably get AC servos form China for same or Cheaper.

Maybe when we finally get out of EU and rest of europe plus the "Remain" lot realise we did the right thing the pound will come back stronger and we can do some sensible Business. . . . . . . Hopefully before "Trumpton" starts WW3. . .Lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information