. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Hi all,
    i'm new to the forum so excuse me if this post is in a wrong place.
    So here is my problem:
    I'm looking for a decent material to use for my DIY CNC router cutting bed (working area of 800x480mm). I need it to resist moisture as my router is in a garage that gets really damp during winter, and my current bed (plywood + mdf on top) expands and contracts like crazy.. I do a lot of V carving so a flat bed is a must.
    So at the moment I'm considering 20mm thick acrylic or 20mm HDPE sheet. I'm looking to spend up to £100 if possible. The entire bed size is 1100x620mm.

So what do you guys think I should do? I just need a material that will resist moisture and bending.

CHeers, Kamil

There is a sign material called Foamex, I use a 19mm thick sheet, you can drill and cut it like MDF, but it's moisture resistant as it's plastic, it's nothing like perspex btw
    Martin

Thanks Maxakarudy,
    Is it also a rigid material that won't deflect much while cutting?

Quote Originally Posted by mondrota View Post
    Thanks Maxakarudy,
    Is it also a rigid material that won't deflect much while cutting?
    You will need something that you can drill and tap into as well.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Yep,
    I have an industrial router, that's what most sacrificial beds are made of

Ok, so I have 3 options now. I checked this foamex on ebay and it is much cheaper. I can drill holes and glue in t nuts at the bottom. I'm just a bit concerned about the rigidity of this material. It is a light foam material after all..

19mm is very rigid, find a local sign company, they might have some to show you and could get you a sheet, Ebay is way too expensive
    Last edited by Maxakarudy; 14-12-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mondrota View Post
    Ok, so I have 3 options now. I checked this foamex on ebay and it is much cheaper. I can drill holes and glue in t nuts at the bottom. I'm just a bit concerned about the rigidity of this material. It is a light foam material after all..
    How about Rigid PVC BLACK PLATE/SHEET 1520mm x 1300mm X 25mm THICK

ebay item number: 152320149415

Machineable, tappable, solid!

A bit big for your purpose though? Maybe he would cut it??

I have got a sheet of 10mm thick paxolin marked out ready to cut to size to fit my machine bed and drill with a matrix of holes 45mm apart (so that they coincide with the T-slots) the holes then have M6 brass inserts pulled into them with a smear of araldite as lubricant. I plan to use this as a permanent sacrificial bed. For the moment I am just making up jigs for each job, like this one

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1751.jpg 
Views:	509 
Size:	341.4 KB 
ID:	20017

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1750.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	20016  

This is my router bed, 3mx2m in 19mm foamex, I cut a grid with 100mm centres for easy reference to keep things square, I cut a lot of sheet material 3-25mm, I prefer to screw things to the bed, in the slot 5mm deep, so there is liitle chance of movement of the panel and clamps are more bulky and can slip.
    My machine has a vac bed, however I've learnt of the years it's not 100% reliable to stop movement of the panel, 1 screw up and it's all over, I cut quite a bit of aluminium sheet with mist coolant so don't use the the chip collection system, I do use it on dry materials like perspex & mdf.
    BTW I conterbored it to the aluminium slats with Tec screws which are about 10mm from the cutting surface, then milled the bed flat

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	router bed.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	20019

I have a piece of 19mm foamex 1000x500 I can get it delivered for £50 if you are interested
    Martin
    Last edited by Maxakarudy; 15-12-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information