. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ok, I`m stuck here.
    Looking at my toolholders for my VMC300, there`s a difference between them, and the toolholders at Coventry Toolholders.
    (http://www.coveng.co.uk/group/covent...sy-change.html)
    Mine has a machined groove in the top flange, and i do believe for my ATC holder(spring loaded fork). Se Attached Picture.
    However the toolholders at Coventry has not :-\
    Looking at the video on youtube, it seems they have 2 types. One With just the 2 notches on each side, and one With additional groove for a ATC Version With spring loaded fork.

Am i completely off track here, or is my assumption correct ?
    Are there any drawings in some far away corner of the internet on these toolholders if i would make them myself ?
    I could of course make my own drawing and plot it in.
    They are a bit expencive if you need say more than 5-10pcs ER32 Easy Change Collet Chucks..

Any advice gents ?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easychange.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	20011
    Last edited by Proteus; 14-12-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Forgot attachement

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Have you got any pictures of an existing tool holder?

I'm not aware that Coventry ever made anything suitable for an ATC, and I'd guess the ATC uses a more standard taper. A good list of standards with dimensions can be found at http://www.tools-n-gizmos.com/specs/Tapers.html
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Don`t know if Coventry Toolholders is the correct one, but i do beleive to remember that name from another post somewhere here in the forum.
    Took a Picture of it, and measured som of the Critical parts.
    By the way i took a lokk at the link you gave me, but could not find anything even Close to it.

Maybe my Pictures could explain better, or hopefully somebody recognizes the holder...

Name:	EndMill_ToolHolder.jpg 
Views:	871 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	20022

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Looks like a compact version of a BT30 holder, with a pretty standard pull stud on top.
    If my maths is correct, given the height on your photo, the diameter of the top would be about 22mm?

Unfortunately that means it's most likely a custom holder, so getting more will not be straightforward.

Yes m_c it does, but the closest i can find is the Easychange toolholder from Coventry.
    The diameter on top is 22mm, and yes i think it`s a standard pull stud.
    There`s 2 ways i can solve this. One is to send my measurements to Coventry Toolholders for confirmation and ask if they have the Version with the groove in the top flange.
    And if the dimensions are the same but without the groove, it should be fairly simple to fix that with my lathe.
    The second solution is to make them myself in the lathe. but that one is manual so far(which will produce a lot work work).
    I got a bunch of the standard endmill holders with sidelock that i could sell out since i like the onces for collet chucks better.

The background grid is 1cm
    The tool holder is a Coventry Quick Change

Name:	CoventryQC.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	979.2 KB 
ID:	20027

There will be a little parallax but it should give you a pretty good idea of the dimensions and angles,
    Regards,
    Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I suspect you mean Coventry Easy Change magicniner?
    I`m adding a sketch i made today With all Critical measurements.

Name:	EasyChange image.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	20034
    Will also send it to Coventry Toolholders and have them confirm all measurements and explanation as to why the groove is missing in the top flange in their catalog.
    Believe the flange is a special Boxford solution on their first ATC`s.. or something...
    Would be interesting to know if there`s anybody that would buy any of my bearly used standard Easy Change toolholder like the on in the Picture though.
    I`m more into collet chuck toolholders and the Shell Mill Holders.

Quote Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
    explanation as to why the groove is missing in the top flange in their catalog
    Because it's not a Coventry Easy Change tool holder.

I've just been and compared one to a BT30, and the Easy Change holders have a steeper taper, which would be correct as the Easy Change holder doesn't use a self locking taper, whereas the BT taper usually is self locking and needs force to remove it.
    Unfortunately the battery is flat in my angle calipers and I don't have a spare, so can't give an exact angle.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I've just been and compared one to a BT30, and the Easy Change holders have a steeper taper.
    Agreed, but I can't find the taper of the mystery holder, if you can enlighten the group with the exact taper of the mystery holder we could measure the angle of the Coventry Easy Change and compare?

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I compared it to the BT30 as well and the angle is different.
    Besides the taper length on BT30 is 50,4mm(including the 2mm notch), whereas my mystery taper lengt is 32,75mm.
    If it`s not Coventry i`m stuck, but i guess i will receive an answer from them by next week.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information