. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks mate, I was told I need a licence for gas but if I don't then I would go gas

Reefy,

what country you in? In the UK there is no need for license to get Argon or CO2 for welding. There is of course a cost associated with the use of the gas canisters. Again in the UK you can look for rental free gas, where you get charge a deposit and refill charge as opposed to having to sign up to a yearly contract.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

I welded my router frame up using a 90A SIP stick welder off ebay, as well as the professional MIG welders I had access to at my old work. If you cut the metal accurately, take your time positioning and tacking and have a large hammer and a grinding disc/cutting disc along with lots of patience then you can easily weld up an accurate frame, especially if you're planning on using epoxy for levelling. Secret is not to put too much heat into any one bit, so tack then move on to a bit on the opposite side and tack etc. leaving plenty of time for things to cool down.
    Neil...

Build log...here

thank you and I live in the uk so that's good then :)

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    thank you and I live in the uk so that's good then :)
    At a push you can also use gasless mig wire but you are better off with argon. Home users often end up with co2 because it's easier to get hold of.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

I don't know how your frame is designed, but keeping in mind everything that others have said, my plan to get around 'weld twist' was like this;

1. weld the lower frame (blue) and fit heavy duty adjustable feet
    2. bolt the beams (grey) to the base, add shims to get both sides parallel in all planes.
    3. use the 'epoxy' method on top of the grey beams for final levelling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frame.JPG 
Views:	324 
Size:	164.9 KB 
ID:	22088

more pictures here; http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/6565-...4294#post54294

EDIT: (some hours later) after blindly following Desertboy's post, Ive just seen how old the previous posts were.
    Last edited by EddyCurrent; 05-07-2017 at 09:02 PM.
    Spelling mistakes are not intentional, I only seem to see them some time after I've posted

If you're having doubts that you can't and you aren't that confident of your welding skill yet, then it is better to hire a learned welder. Hard to risk the frame's structure, but if you're going to use the frame as a material for learning, you have lots of it, and you aren't in a rush to produce the output, then you can learn however you want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information