. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I keep going back and forth if i should pay someone to do it or try myself, both seem to be a pain in the ass lol. Ive been watching a few mig videos how to weld and keep a square frame true and just as i get a little confident i then worry about frame twisting ect, ive asked on a welding forum if it will be a easy enough challenge for a beginner but they say even a expert struggles to prevent twisting. How hard is it guys?

If you can weld then easy.

If you can't weld then harder.

Seriously all metal pulls to the weld as you weld, you can allow for this and instead of clamping at say 90 degrees then lean the metal a degree or two and let it pull it into shape.

For frame work it pays to weld up some angle iron triangles that are perfectly square [ that gives you some practice ] and use these to clamp to as you weld. With a lot of clamping and puling and using well designed gussets at corners it's not to bad to correct any mistakes.

Main thing is to check and correct as you go along and not expect the whole job to compensate.
    John S -

its really dificult to get a frame to stay square,..if you are patient and watch loads of videos, (welding tips and tricks) a novice could do a decent enough job.....get some scrap metal and practice welding 6mm long tacks consistantly...cutting the metal square and then v out is a skill on its own.1mm cutting disks again practice...what materials are you thinking of using?? how big is it going to be??if you post your design and the guys think it will make a decent machine we can walk you through the metal work.

From the videos I've been watching they tack the corners but leaving the metal outwards slightly as its a lot easier to bring the metal in when welding then it is bringing it back out. I do watch loads of videos but hard to know without trying myself. When using epoxy resin what do I need to look out for when welding the rail sections?

You can make a really rigid frame without welding it all together, if it's done right.
    Making it in mild steel by welding brackets on, bolt hole sleeves and captive nuts together with triangulation stiffeners avoids a lot of welding distorrtion.
    Making allowances for adjustment & fine tuning is really important, by use slots & shims
    Industrial built machines have the critical areas machined, but every machine has to have adjustment allowances built into the design.
    Martin

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    From the videos I've been watching they tack the corners but leaving the metal outwards slightly as its a lot easier to bring the metal in when welding then it is bringing it back out. I do watch loads of videos but hard to know without trying myself. When using epoxy resin what do I need to look out for when welding the rail sections?
    its hard to say without knowing what your planning to build........have you welded before??

I've never welded before but watching videos makes me want to have ago but its the warping on the rails section that scares me, I don't really care if the weld doesn't look pretty as long as its a strong weld. I might just try a bolt together frame but at the same time I do really want to have ago at welding too.

you will still need to weld a bolt together frame......with mig you can have a nice looking weld and it can still be a bad weld......if youve got access to a mig get some scrap and have a play.DONT LOOK AT THE PRITTY BLUE LIGHT without a mask.....its a hectic first expieriance..pull the trigger youve got wire pushing out of the torch,alot of hot balls of metal dropping down your sock, not being able to see enough through the mask so on and so forth.....warped rails is the least of your issues......learning to weld will open up all sorts of interesting avanues and is a skill well worth having...but you arnt going to buy some steel and weld a frame on your first go with any welder

Thanks warwick, i am buying a mig welder but gasless so will be spending sometime practicing and will be posting results up before i start on the frame to see what you guys think

Quote Originally Posted by reefy86 View Post
    Thanks warwick, i am buying a mig welder but gasless so will be spending sometime practicing and will be posting results up before i start on the frame to see what you guys think

Dont buy gassless

Buy a normal one and a CO bottle from some bar for next to nothing. Together with the regulator. Thats how i started. Of course i was not thinking like you and bought 250AMP welder which i am very happy with. It cost me around 350 euro only from ebay. Its working like a champ.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information