. .
    Hi Y'all,

I recently saw an advert for 3 American mags, Machinist's Workshop, The Home Shop Machinist and Digital Machinist. It offered free issues of each one, so I sent for them.

Here's my review

Machinist's Workshop - More emphasis on guns than an English magazine, but less of the Model Railway clutter. Adverts are (of course) almost totally irrelevant. Everything in Imperial. The projects are pretty much the same feel as the UK mags. Contents page had articles on making a Cam Lock Tailstock, Rescuing a Drill Press, Upgrading a Rifle &c...
    So no surprises there - don't expect to subscribe to that one !

The Home Shop Machinist - Another magazine for people who like to go into boring detail about sod all. Previous comments about Adverts and Imperial apply.

Digital Machinist - Initially, I thought I might subscribe to this one, but after a couple of days the feeling went away. There was an article on building a peristaltic pump, but I have just made one myself. My pump was similar but only used 3D printing, 4 bearings and a few nuts and bolts. Oh and a bit of silicone tube ! There was piece about building a heavy 3 axis CNC router, but the steel frame only had 1 set of supported rails the other two were not
    (???) Another article was about Arduinos, but after discussing fairly basic coding and then had a whinge about Chinese Arduino copies and how he had spent hours diagnosing faulty boards. At the price they sell them for, if they are faulty you chuck them and get another one out of the box.

So no sale there for three magazines.

I get all the info and entertainment I need for free from the forum and Internet searches, so why pay for an irrelevant mag. I have even cancelled my sub for the UK 'Model Engineering' because I got bored with the same-iness and endless articles about building steam trains.

Cheers,

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 17-12-2016 at 05:56 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Well it is Christmas Rob Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baahumbug.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	20021 I will be away cooking dinner for the mother in law, so happy Xmas to one and all.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    Well it is Christmas Rob Click image for larger version. 

Name:	baahumbug.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	20021 I will be away cooking dinner for the mother in law, so happy Xmas to one and all.
    Oh ye and bet you changed your name to Mary as well.!! . . .

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    I have in the past subscribed to Machinist's Workshop, and Digital Machinist.

I thought Machinist's Workshop was far better than any of the UK equivalents. The variety of articles was far greater, which I found made it more interesting.
    Digital Machinist always seemed to be very hit or miss. Some articles were really interesting and good quality, others were of very little interest or poor quality.

As with nearly all these kinds of magazines, the internet has pretty much killed them. It's far easier for people to post their projects online, in a format they like with as many images as they see fit, without having to worry about a limit on images or their size.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Baa Humbug !

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    I thought Machinist's Workshop was far better than any of the UK equivalents.
    I subscribe to Model Engineers Workshop, but it is getting samey and boring. Again as with with 'Model Engineering' there is too much about steam trains. I don't know of any UK version of 'Digital Machinist', so any info there is welcome, I would like to have a look at such a publication.

I am no precision engineer, so my ideal magazine would probably be called 'Furtling and Bodging'.

Happy X**s

Rob
    Last edited by cropwell; 17-12-2016 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cropwell View Post
    less of the Model Railway clutter.
    But why would anyone want machine tools if not to build a Choo-Choo!

- Nick
    Last edited by magicniner; 17-12-2016 at 11:32 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    But why would anyone want machine tools if not to build a Choo-Choo!

- Nick
    I am not getting steamed up about it Does this signal a pun war ? I find it hard to keep track, at this junction I am not siding with the train buffers

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 13 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Well you know what's it is like she does all the prep and I turn the oven on and time it how hard can it be
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information