. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks GND, i have ordered the untinned one and will try that. I will look at the other other chips for guidance on how its connected to the heatsink.

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Sounds like a plan! Let us know how it goes....

Cheers
    Graeme

either the TA8435HQ stepper driver IC needs to be electricaly isolated from the heatsink or the heatsink needs to be grounded
    otherwise a faulty IC will damage other ICs mounted on the same heatsink !

take a close look at the discoloured contacts
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TA8435HQ socket.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	423.7 KB 
ID:	20061

check the socket for heat damage that may of softened the spring contact
    so it will no longer grip the new IC's pins as tight as it should

John

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Good clarification, John - I assumed as much but I was in a bit of a rush and didn't explain myself very well last night! The back of the chip is internally connected to ground, so if the designer of the equipment didn't insulate it from the common heatsink, then the heatsink must be grounded as you say. I'd argue it's not ideal practice, and that insulating the chips individually is perhaps preferable. But best just reproduce what the manufacturer did, as it seems to work. Unless that was the cause of the failure of course....!

Well spotted regarding the contacts - they do look a bit iffy! Those are "turned pin" type sockets - high quality ones, which is a good start. But definitely worth following John's suggestion to check them carefully, or even replace them. That of course involves soldering :-)

Graeme

Thanks John and GND. I will check the pins for damage

Just in case anyone else is searching the forums about a similar issue, i replaced the damaged driver chip with a new one and the axis is now working fine again. There was a small silicone pad on the back of the old driver chip and thermal grease so i used this pad on the new chip and applied MX4 Thermal non electrically conductive paste to the back of the chip.

I did check that all the socket pins were working correctly and were not damaged prior to installing the new chip. The only slightly difficult thing was getting the pins into the socket without bending them as they are quite delicate. I did several hours of cutting last night with no issues

Its always satisfying to get something that was broke working again
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thread Information