. .
    .Me

I'm so not surprised, this demonstrates exactly what has kept me from even considering cloud based software for anything I might want to see when I want to see it and not when the vendor can let me see it.

A second issue for me is updates applied when convenient for the vendor, if my CAD/CAM isn't broke I don't fix it ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

I am hugely tempted to try Fusion 360 for die sinking even if it is a bit buggy. Apparently I can rent it for £30 a month when I need it, how good is that?
    I am not hugely clear about drawing stuff with it, is it very different to AutoCAD? Thought I would give the demo a try over Xmas.
    The tool paths look really neat and in control, if you know what I mean?

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 11 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hewitt View Post
    I am hugely tempted to try Fusion 360 for die sinking even if it is a bit buggy. Apparently I can rent it for £30 a month when I need it, how good is that?
    I am not hugely clear about drawing stuff with it, is it very different to AutoCAD? Thought I would give the demo a try over Xmas.
    The tool paths look really neat and in control, if you know what I mean?
    Fusion 360 is free for hobby use just register and you are good to go. I use Autocad but only 2D so can't comment but 360 is very powerful and a steep learning curve but worth thee trouble
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

The big difference between AutoCAD and Fusion 360 is that F360 is parametric. This takes some getting used to but once you are there it feels very odd and restrictive going back to ACAD.

Parametric means you can loosely draw something and add dimensions to it. You can then edit the dimensions and the drawing will refresh automatically. You can also add various constraints to do the same thing.

In AutoCAD you have to edit the lines themselves and move / edit the points around. Instead of that once you get used to thinking of the lines as a framework which contains rules to define the drawing it makes CAD much quicker and very powerful.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    if my CAD/CAM isn't broke I don't fix it ;-)

- Nick
    More importantly if it is fixed don't break it.

I am not hugely clear about drawing stuff with it, is it very different to AutoCAD?
    It's very, very different.
    Much closer to Solidworks than it is to AutoCAD. For most things, you start with sketches, and then extrude them. Just be sure to follow this rule:
    http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/post-y...2/td-p/6581749
    Gerry

Mach3 2010 Screenset

JointCAM - CAM for Woodworking Joints

Thread Information