. .
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Just a quick update. Got a scope on the 0-10v spindle speed output from the RMHV and its analogue and not PWM.

The manual seems to suggest that it is possible to configure the unit to output PWM but I can not find anything in the manual to show me how.

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    I'm in the process of planning the conversion of my recently acquired Novamill, and came across this during my research - https://www.summet.com/blog/2016/01/...-speed-control. It shows how to tap into the existing spindle drive isolation circuit with your own PWM signal, thus saving any new circuits or power supplies. In my case I'm just replacing the top controller board, and replacing it with a modern motion controller - but keeping the lower board and the stepper drivers - so this should work for me. Sounds like you may be replacing more of the electronics, so it may not be appropriate. But hopefully this is useful info for others reading the thread.

Cheers
    Graeme

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    If this helps you can get the connector here https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I started doing this and changed my mind and threw the boards out. As you can see in post #28. unfortunately I also threw the connector out otherwise you could of had it.

Good luck with the conversion.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Thanks for that, Clive. I'm just finalising my choice which motion controller to use. Too many choices! However my current plan is to make a kind of motherboard with one of those 96-way connectors on it, that replaces the existing top board. The motion controller will then sit on this. I can then provide any BoB type functions on my mini-motherboard - like voltage level shifts or opto isolation. Feels like quite a neat way to tackle the problem, but time will tell. As you say, we sometimes start with a plan and then throw it all away and do it differently!!

Just out of interest, what electronics did you use? I can see a BoB on your photo, and maybe a couple of stepper drives? But not anything I could identify....

All the best
    Graeme

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 16 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I don't want to hijack this thread, It might be better to start another thread with your build !! I used a Mesa 7i92 but if I was doing it again I would use the 7i96 as that has opto's on it and screw terminals. View from the back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mesa 7i92.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	25358
    Last edited by Clive S; 24-01-2019 at 02:07 PM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Thanks Clive - I think I'd picked up previously that you are a Linux/Mesa guy, so this makes sense! I'm going via another route, but will likely start a new thread as you suggest. Didn't want to hijack this one either, but hoped my info on the built-in isolation would be useful.

Cheers
    Graeme

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information