. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    I recently picked up a Denford VMC 1300 from my local scrap metal merchant.

Here it is on the way into my workshop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161217_160251.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	20074

I have no idea what condition it is in but I figure that it was (probably) sent to the scrap yard for a good reason.

My plan is to find a permanent place for it in my workshop then try and diagnose what does and doesn't still work. If its the electronics side of things I'll probably retrofit a LinuxCNC based solution.

However I have no idea how to figure out what is and what isn't re-usable so it will be a steep learning curve, any help/advice gratefully received....

I'll buy it off you ;)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Chas,

post up some good pics of the control cabinet when you get time, and we can point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I'll buy it off you ;)
    I'd keep the Triac ;)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Chas,

post up some good pics of the control cabinet when you get time, and we can point you in the right direction.

I'd keep the Triac ;)
    Or have both ;)

With xmas out of the way I managed to get some time in the shed. After struggling to get the thing onto my workbench I removed the covers.

Name:	20170115_160341.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	20390

I was able to have a poke around and establish that it did actually have steppers and ballscrews (I was worried it had been gutted of useful parts).

The Z-axis stepper has a sticker that I hope will help me identify it.

Name:	20170115_160957.jpg 
Views:	520 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	20391

As far as I can make out it looks like the part number is M60STH88-3008D and it was made by / supplied by Motion Control Products.

Poking around their website ( http://motioncontrolproducts.com/) I found a spec sheet for a M60STH88-3008DF I'm not sure of the significance of the F on the end.

I've also discovered that the contol cabinet is accessed from the back not the side as I originally thought. This means I need to move the thing again to get access.

Oh and I haven't been able to release the tool holder, does anyone know if I just need to pull on the lever harder or if there's a drawbar or somewhere I can tap to break the taper?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 2 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That datasheet should be good enough. The main thing is once you have the machine running, make sure the steppers aren't getting too hot.
    Is that a brake assembly on the end of the stepper?

You'll want to check the other stepper motors, as X and Y are often fitted with smaller steppers than the Z.

Regarding the tool holder, if it's been in there for a while, there may be a bit corrosion helping to stick it. You might need to get somebody to push/pull the release lever, while somebody else gives the toolholder a hit downwards with a hammer and block of wood.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

8. The F means a flat on the shaft.
    I sold those motors to denford when i worked at MCP, many moons ago.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    That datasheet should be good enough. The main thing is once you have the machine running, make sure the steppers aren't getting too hot.
    Is that a brake assembly on the end of the stepper?

You'll want to check the other stepper motors, as X and Y are often fitted with smaller steppers than the Z.

Regarding the tool holder, if it's been in there for a while, there may be a bit corrosion helping to stick it. You might need to get somebody to push/pull the release lever, while somebody else gives the toolholder a hit downwards with a hammer and block of wood.
    No idea about the end of the stepper,

Judging by the state of the table corrosion is highly likely. I'll try and get some penetrating fluid in there to do it's work before getting the hammer out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    The F means a flat on the shaft.
    I sold those motors to denford when i worked at MCP, many moons ago.
    Thanks, thats a mystery solved then :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chas Ixion View Post
    No idea about the end of the stepper,

Judging by the state of the table corrosion is highly likely. I'll try and get some penetrating fluid in there to do it's work before getting the hammer out.
    Penetrating fluid is more likely to do more harm than good near a spindle, and will make no difference to any corrosion that may be on the spindle taper. Just get somebody to swing on the release lever while somebody else taps the holder with the hammer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information