. .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I recently picked up a Denford VMC 1300 from my local scrap metal merchant.

Here it is on the way into my workshop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161217_160251.jpg 
Views:	631 
Size:	390.5 KB 
ID:	20074

I have no idea what condition it is in but I figure that it was (probably) sent to the scrap yard for a good reason.

My plan is to find a permanent place for it in my workshop then try and diagnose what does and doesn't still work. If its the electronics side of things I'll probably retrofit a LinuxCNC based solution.

However I have no idea how to figure out what is and what isn't re-usable so it will be a steep learning curve, any help/advice gratefully received....

I'll buy it off you ;)

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Chas,

post up some good pics of the control cabinet when you get time, and we can point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by andy_con View Post
    I'll buy it off you ;)
    I'd keep the Triac ;)
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

Quote Originally Posted by m_c View Post
    Chas,

post up some good pics of the control cabinet when you get time, and we can point you in the right direction.

I'd keep the Triac ;)
    Or have both ;)

With xmas out of the way I managed to get some time in the shed. After struggling to get the thing onto my workbench I removed the covers.

Name:	20170115_160341.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	330.0 KB 
ID:	20390

I was able to have a poke around and establish that it did actually have steppers and ballscrews (I was worried it had been gutted of useful parts).

The Z-axis stepper has a sticker that I hope will help me identify it.

Name:	20170115_160957.jpg 
Views:	524 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	20391

As far as I can make out it looks like the part number is M60STH88-3008D and it was made by / supplied by Motion Control Products.

Poking around their website ( http://motioncontrolproducts.com/) I found a spec sheet for a M60STH88-3008DF I'm not sure of the significance of the F on the end.

I've also discovered that the contol cabinet is accessed from the back not the side as I originally thought. This means I need to move the thing again to get access.

Oh and I haven't been able to release the tool holder, does anyone know if I just need to pull on the lever harder or if there's a drawbar or somewhere I can tap to break the taper?

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 23 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    That datasheet should be good enough. The main thing is once you have the machine running, make sure the steppers aren't getting too hot.
    Is that a brake assembly on the end of the stepper?

You'll want to check the other stepper motors, as X and Y are often fitted with smaller steppers than the Z.

Regarding the tool holder, if it's been in there for a while, there may be a bit corrosion helping to stick it. You might need to get somebody to push/pull the release lever, while somebody else gives the toolholder a hit downwards with a hammer and block of wood.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to m_c For This Useful Post:

8. The F means a flat on the shaft.
    I sold those motors to denford when i worked at MCP, many moons ago.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary For This Useful Post:

Thread Information