. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I hope very much that I'd save some money on the eBay price has I've contacted him directly. I can also claim the VAT back.

Sent from my phone so mind the autocorrect.

Well Colin came down and ended up taking the machine away to fix up (I'm going to collect it from nottingham on Saturday). He did suggest it was a bit of a waste on such a small machine and has convinced me to have the more basic readout head instead of the graphical one and just tweo axes. At least it will be worth something when sold on ;).

The readout head can store up to 200 positions so almost makes small manufacture feaseable although granted much better to just have the CNC if I can get it.

It makes using the mill a lot quicker in my experience . I have one fitted to my manual mill and it transforms its usefulness in my view. I used the EBay Chinese one, arrived from a uk stockist. Have never used most of its advanced functionality though if I'm honest and we've made some fairly complex parts (for a manual machine)

Yes in the end I had full three axis DRO attached and I had the graphical readout. Unfortunately the graphical readout did not add the extra functionality I had hoped for in that it may be able to work with a permanently skewed X axis as in not been able to put the vice on straight. It does have the additional functionality of been able to work with something on the skew but that is simply for machining something on the skew not as a general set up base for other functions. But the graphical one does have nice characters. Given my visual stress I think the segment display of the cheaper ones would have driven me round the bend so although it was a couple of hundred pounds more expensive I guess it was worth the extra money. Ultimately if I get rid of the machine it is much more saleable now and the readout could be sold separately if somebody wanted the simpler version. Colin did indeed do a great job and he did give me his honest opinions about it not being worth it but given that I hope to progress into CNC later I didn't think it was worth getting a more expensive manual machine just to put the readout on.

It has transformed the mill from something that I grudgingly used into something that I don't mind using and that is easier to set up. These zero on 1/2 measurement is excellent for working with the boxes I used because they are cast or moulded and therefore always have a draft angle so finding a reference point is very difficult. But if I am comparing the same location on both sides I don't need to care about how far up the box I am and I can easily find a zero point with the digital readout exactly in the centre of the box. Setting the other zero is fairly easy and I then immediately have a two axis reference system that allows me to do the whole drilling as per my drawing. Obviously I can take dimensions on my drawing from any point I like.

I have just completed a box and while I would not recommend doing this for fifty boxes because I think it could become tedious even if I am having an apprentice do it but at least it means I have turned out a perfect box by myself with no setup charges and no waiting. The setup charge with the box manufacturer is 95 pounds, four fifty that is acceptable. After that if any more are ordered they only want 80p.

Quote Originally Posted by SparkyLabs View Post
    Unfortunately the graphical readout did not add the extra functionality I had hoped for in that it may be able to work with a permanently skewed X axis as in not been able to put the vice on straight.
    When you say the axis is skewed do you mean that the slots are out of alignment with the axis of travel or is the X-axis travel not at 90 degrees to the Y-axis?

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

What I mean is that the vice is not bolted down correctly to the X axis of travel. The machine itself seems pretty sound not that I'm an expert at getting advice straight is a pain in the arse. So I was hoping that there will be a basic setup function that would allow me to tell it that "this" is my X axis allowing me to be lazy about the vice placement. There is a function that allows me to put something on the bed at an angle and tell the machine what the angle is so that I can machine an angle in a straight line and I think it would therefore give X and Y coordinates for the part even though it is tilted and not in line with the machines X and Y axis.

Tramming your vice is where it's at -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_l2dhpIOLY

You can also make and fit a strip, or blocks, in a shallow machined slot on the underside of your vice, the strips are sized to be a comfortable fit in your table slots, the slot under the vice is machined by clamping and tramming a straight square bar on your mill table, clamping the (upside down) vice to the bar then cutting the slot in the vice underside and fixing the bar/blocks.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

8. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information