. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've got a Clark CMD10 manual mill. The addition of a digital readout would make it manageable versus the pile of cheap junk it is. I've seen a great variation in digital readout units available. Some are just a simple version year with a zero button others are a full-blown screen of some sort that connects to 2 or three sensor scales and some even claim to allow you to do arcs and circles.

Any guidance greatly appreciated. Most are the ones I have seen sold in the UK where I live look exactly like the ones on eBay from China so I'm guessing I might as well just buy one on eBay from China and be able to spend the extra cash on extra features rather than buying the basic one for a markup from somebody like Warco.

I suppose you could always transfer the DRO to something better when you get it. I have a CMD10. It needs setting up properly as you can't adjust the gibes to get rid of yaw, without tightening the mill up so that it binds, but it is just a toy really, no good for serious work. I wouldn't waste money on a DRO for the CMD10.

The more complex ones can have 100 or more sets of zeros so you can set a zero for each of the holes in a part or a set of parts and zeros for the corners of rectangular holes, the 1/2 button for setting part centre is very useful.

You can also get a box that scales plug into which connects by USB to a PC running a program giving you a "PC DRO".

Mine are all SINO type from Machine DRO, some have been running 24/7 for over 10 years, I'm sure you can get the same stuff cheaper but I go back to Machine DRO because they do support the products they sell.

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Do you mean like this one?: http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/2-axis-...ders-5229.html

Does the PC software give much more funtionality than a stand alone controller ?

Arcs, angled lines and inclines are achieved by giving the operator a series of moves to make, inevitably they are a bit lumpy and not intended to give you a finished cut - you'd have to make thousands of moves (like CNC) to achieve a finished surface, it gets you close enough to file to shape off the machine without a huge amount of work.

I don't think you get more from the PC based display, it doesn't mention bolt circles etc. it may do less -

http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/m-dro-p...interface.html

I'm not keen on fitting 2-axis readouts to 3-axis machines but if you can manage and it keeps the cost down...

These are the type which I'm using - http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/sds6-3v...s-display.html

I had a failed PSU in the display on the mill and called Machine DRO, they didn't have one in stock but could order me a PSU for it, I had nothing to lose so I stripped the PSU and found a 50p electrolytic had let the juice out, maplins had one in stock ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Well I have looked around and found a guy on eBay that fits them so he's coming over tomorrow to make my crappy old clerk into something usable. He's got a nice looking graphical controller which makes life just that little bit simpler which I will probably go for. At least once this is fitted I will be able to work a lot more precisely and won't be yearning for a CNC just yet as clearly I'm not ready for one of those.

Lives in East Lothian, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Days Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 2,908. Received thanks 360 times, giving thanks to others 8 times.
    Let us know how you get on. I keep meaning to add a DRO to my manual lathe, but never seem to get around to it.
    Avoiding the rubbish customer service from AluminiumWarehouse since July '13.

I know it's a bit of a waste and I'm being a little impatient but the actual difference in price of the unit is not much on a regular one. At least I have something to use now and the readout can be reused elsewhere or sold on on its own leaving the machine with the measuring slides that can be plugs into anything else if people don't want an over-the-top controller.

Sent from my phone so mind the autocorrect.

Well Colin came down and ended up taking the machine away to fix up (I'm going to collect it from nottingham on Saturday). He did suggest it was a bit of a waste on such a small machine and has convinced me to have the more basic readout head instead of the graphical one and just tweo axes. At least it will be worth something when sold on ;).

The readout head can store up to 200 positions so almost makes small manufacture feaseable although granted much better to just have the CNC if I can get it.

It makes using the mill a lot quicker in my experience . I have one fitted to my manual mill and it transforms its usefulness in my view. I used the EBay Chinese one, arrived from a uk stockist. Have never used most of its advanced functionality though if I'm honest and we've made some fairly complex parts (for a manual machine)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information