. .
    Hi,

I'd love a plasma cutter to go with my cnc lathe and mill I have, but I'm not sure how messy they are to run - having got the grinder out in the garage in the past and ended up with black snot and fine black dust over everything for months after I'd be interested to hear how people have found it.

Thanks

If you are going to run a plasma cutter then you need extraction and filtration.
    Fumes from cutting mild steel are bad enough and will kill and if you decide to cut stainless steel then they will kill you quicker.
    You can always have a read of this http://www.hse.gov.uk/foi/internalop...9/oc668_22.htm and then decide for yourself if you want to take the risk.
    There are also quite a few documents available from searching google for more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Web Goblin View Post
    Fumes from cutting mild steel are bad enough and will kill and if you decide to cut stainless steel then they will kill you quicker.
    Or if you really want to go Quick tape up the windows door an have go with some Galv sheet...

so how does the normal garage monkey run a plasma CNC? I can't imagine many run out and drop £20k on proper extraction/filtration systems after trying to build a low cost DIY CNC plasma?

Quote Originally Posted by Dangle_kt View Post
    so how does the normal garage monkey run a plasma CNC? I can't imagine many run out and drop £20k on proper extraction/filtration systems after trying to build a low cost DIY CNC plasma?
    Why do you think there are so few Plasma Monkeys on this Forum.? . . . They all died slow painful deaths in Corner of Garage.

Nah doesn't need to cost the earth or massive filtration just sensible precautions regards ventilation and depending on how much you like neighbours some filtration.

Plasma isn't something you can do on the cheap thou. Need decent plasma to start with and good clean dry Air supply. Electronics also require much more care other wise you'll go bald with the first week.!!

Some people have used a water table to reduce the fumes, noise and distortion but this doesn't get rid of all of the fumes.
    An extraction system will get rid of the fumes from your workshop but really needs to be connected to some sort of hood around the torch to work best. As for filtration then that's up to the owner but I wouldn't like to be one of their neighbours if there are running a plasma without filtration.
    I do remember one company years ago was taken to task about the mess their plasma fumes did to a neighbours property. The shitty brown metallic dust was landing all over their garden/washing/car.

"Electronics also require much more care other wise you'll go bald with the first week.!! "
    Have to been trying to give yourself a jump using the HF?
    I agree, poor electronics and HF really don't go together very well. Ive seen it do all sorts of things to controllers.

Thread Information