. .
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you can't source thick plate can you use plug welding through alternating patterns of drilled holes to laminate several thinner plates into a suitably rigid assembly?
    You might even get less resonance in a laminated assembly than a single plate?
    Just thinking out loud,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Maybe take a look at www.clickmetal.co.uk and if you price up (its online, instant price) what you have bought before. T
    Ah ah they want £246 + vat for 920 x 700 x 20mm standard 6082-T6 plate which is last size I bought just before Xmas. Think I paid £187 inc vat for Ground tooling plate.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-12-2016 at 12:34 PM.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you can't source thick plate can you use plug welding through alternating patterns of drilled holes to laminate several thinner plates into a suitably rigid assembly?
    You might even get less resonance in a laminated assembly than a single plate?
    Just thinking out loud,

- Nick
    Not sure what Plug welding is but I had considered welding up a few layers of say 10mm to make up what I need. Thanks. Certainly an option.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ah ah they want £246 + vat for 920 x 700 standard 6082-T6 plate which is last size I bought just before Xmas. Think I paid £187 inc vat for Ground tooling plate.
    Thanks, fair difference. I think we discussed this before but you 'local' doesnt really deliver outside of your area? The cost of transport for that plate, say £30 will still make it somewhat cheaper. Can you let me know who you buy from please?

Thanks Jazz.

If want to go the casting route give these lads ring for quote.

http://www.smallcastings.co.uk/

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Can you let me know who you buy from please?
    That came from ASC metals. Nearist to you is peterborough I think.

http://www.ascmetalsgroup.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Ah ah they want £246 + vat for 920 x 700 x 20mm standard 6082-T6 plate which is last size I bought just before Xmas. Think I paid £187 inc vat for Ground tooling plate.
    Do they cut into smaller sizes? I dont have tools to cut large sheets, part of the issue. What is the best option for something to cut required sizes from thickish plates (like 25mm)?

Lives in Barrow in Furness, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 21 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 786. Received thanks 96 times, giving thanks to others 176 times.
    A couple of 10mm plates welded as per Nick's recommendation and use 30/40mm square section on the edges for mounting your bearings or rails.Joining the plate is done by machining a pattern of holes in one of the plates you intend to join clean both matting faces and clamp them together then weld the inside the holes.
    Regards
    Mike

Not sure what Plug welding is but I had considered welding up a few layers of say 10mm to make up what I need. Thanks. Certainly an option.
    Chaz,
    Plug welding is welding through a hole and "plugging it".
    Drill a pattern of holes diameter 2x thickness in one plate, clamp it to a second plate and weld through the holes in the first to the second plate and the hole walls, finishing by filling the holes then grinding flush.
    Add further plates in the same way until the desired thickness is achieved, you could optionally weld around the outside,

- Nick

What is the best option for something to cut required sizes from thickish plates (like 25mm)?
    Last time I did any work on heavy steel plate I had access to Oxy/Gas burning kit, the only thing I have now is my plasma cutter which is only rated for 13mm steel, I suspect you could rent a plasma cutter for a day from a tool hire outfit,

- Nick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information