. .
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    I am looking for 2 sections Mild Steel plate. I can get Alu tooling plate but its too expensive.

Looking at roughly 485 x 340 x 50mm. I'm not looking for a massive plate so cant buy from places like Parkers etc. Anyone able to help?

Thanks

50mm thick is hardly a plate - nearest that size in ground was £539

Good luck

Peter

Getting a 50mm thick section that small might be a problem. Never seem 50mm plate in smaller than 4 x 2 mts. If you have a local profiler or supplier you might want to try them to see if they have any offcuts.
    It will weight around 70KGs though.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    50mm thick is hardly a plate - nearest that size in ground was £539

Good luck

Peter
    What is plate then? The only 'definition' I know is from Click Metal where I tend to buy from. Anything sub 6mm is typically sheet, more is plate. Anyways, lets not get hung up about terminology.

I need to complete my Z Design for Thor, hence asking about where to source. Are we saying £540 roughly for a piece of metal that size? In that case, Ill need to use Alu. The weight is a bit of a concern but not too much either, suppose two of these, plus the concrete block to hold the spindle might all add up.

Chaz have you thought about casting them in Aluminium then machining flat etc.? Or even having then Cast in Iron or steel.? May work out cheaper or same.

If you want side project the build smelter and cast your own. Few Old alloy wheels or cyclinder heads from scrap yard and your sorted.!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Chaz have you thought about casting them in Aluminium then machining flat etc.? Or even having then Cast in Iron or steel.? May work out cheaper or same.

If you want side project the build smelter and cast your own. Few Old alloy wheels or cyclinder heads from scrap yard and your sorted.!!
    Id love to but have no kit for it and limited space at the moment. In future if I was making more stuff Id consider that but all I have is a double garage. I'm already using the driveway which has become a mess and a peed off wife. One day when I have my place in the middle of nowhere, Ill be doing that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    What is plate then? The only 'definition' I know is from Click Metal where I tend to buy from.
    That's why costing you so much money. Find local metal supplier think you'll find much cheaper. If can't find ask local engineering company.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 30-12-2016 at 12:14 PM.

That's why costing you so much money. Find local metal supplier think you'll find much cheaper.
    I tried, I call around locally, they were all more expensive. Perhaps I need to find the 'small, not online' companies.

They dont do mildsteel at all but when I was looking for Alu etc, they tended to come up cheaper than most. Please check and compare to what you can get 'locally', be curious to know how they compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    They dont do mildsteel at all but when I was looking for Alu etc, they tended to come up cheaper than most. Please check and compare to what you can get 'locally', be curious to know how they compare.
    Company I use is closed until Jan. What size and grade do you want me to check on.?

Company I use is closed until Jan. What size and grade do you want me to check on.?
    Maybe take a look at www.clickmetal.co.uk and if you price up (its online, instant price) what you have bought before. The tooling plate is a bit more expensive but its fairly flat but if you look at the normal alu (its 6082), you can customise the size / thickness. http://www.clickmetal.co.uk/click-by...luminium-plate for a direct link.

Thanks

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information