. .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Do they cut into smaller sizes? I dont have tools to cut large sheets, part of the issue. What is the best option for something to cut required sizes from thickish plates (like 25mm)?
    Yes they will cut to smaller sizes. I'll often buy Rectangular plates like for Z axis just slightly over size leaving just a finish pass. Less machine time this way.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Yes they will cut to smaller sizes. I'll often buy Rectangular plates like for Z axis just slightly over size leaving just a finish pass. Less machine time this way.
    Yep, exactly what I need.

In my case, would you use Mild Steel or Alu for my Z setup? I suspect Mild Steel will be more suitable.

I've used ASC - good service etc.

In my case, would you use Mild Steel or Alu for my Z setup?
    Yes ;)

Aluminium is much easier to machine...
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've used ASC - good service etc.

Yes ;)

Aluminium is much easier to machine...
    Yep, doesnt make it better though :-|

I could probably weld the plates up to leave the slot for the bearing / ballscrew. My Denford can do mild steel machining without too much of a problem - albeit fairly slow going.

Yep, exactly what I need.

In my case, would you use Mild Steel or Alu for my Z setup? I suspect Mild Steel will be more suitable.
    I'd go with steel if could work with it. However I'd only use it if could do it correctly which means will need heat treating and stress reliefing then grinding in critical places.
    If you can't do this then you may find Ground tooling plate will be more accurate as it's already been heat treated and ground flat.

Plug welding will allow thinner plate to be used but all the above still applies and will require more work because all that heat will warp and put stresses into the whole assembly. If those are not released carefully then they will release eventually which will make for bad day when you do realise.!!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 31-12-2016 at 10:00 AM.

I agree with all the points in the previous post, but will also add that the advantages of each material are quite slight, so you might as well pick the easy option and use aluminium.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    I'd go with steel if could work with it. However I'd only use it if could do it correctly which means will need heat treating and stress reliefing then grinding in critical places.
    If you can't do this then you may find Ground tooling plate will be more accurate as it's already been heat treated and ground flat.

Plug welding will allow thinner plate to be used but all the above still applies and will require more work because all that heat will warp and put stresses into the whole assembly. If those are not released carefully then they will release eventually which will make for bad day when you do realise.!!
    Yep, this I cant do at home, so looks to me a limited option for me then.

Chaz,

I am about to place an order with Misumi. If you do the leg work and find the part number for the piece you need I will order it for you.

http://www.misumi-europe.com/en/cata...0/M1401020000/

Regards
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    Chaz,

I am about to place an order with Misumi. If you do the leg work and find the part number for the piece you need I will order it for you.

http://www.misumi-europe.com/en/cata...0/M1401020000/

Regards
    Thanks. Appreciated. Will take a look. When are you ordering?

in 3-5 days from now
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information