. .
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Right then. Me ballscrews arrived the other day. I need to machine an M10 thread near the end of the y axis screw... I don't have access to a lathe for screw cutting so I've ordered a good quality M!0 - 1mm die from ebay. I was going to use standard 1.5mm threading but was kindly reminded (by Komatias) that I may not get the die past the 8mm machined end. Thanks a lot! there is some degree of disagreement about the feasibility of cutting the thread by hand but although it doesn't seem to be the recommended approach a few people suggest that it can be done so I'll let you know how it goes. The problem seems to be keeping the die adequately square (perpendicular) to the ballscrew... I had initially hoped to put the screw into the a chuck held in my rotary table and make a die holder to put in the tailstock that could be allowed to travel as the thread progressed but since the 2MT tool holder in the HV6 is too small for the 16mm diameter screw this ain't gonna happen... however in a re-inventing the wheel moment of inspiration I thought it may just be a plan to try and hold the screw with the tailstock clamp which is nominally 18mm diameter(except for a bush at the back) or possibly to make a 16mm clamp that will fit into tailstock base... there may yet be hope! The mill proper has apparently been despatched today and will arrive in sunny France toward the end of next week I'm told... My UC300 motion controller, BOB and software were due to arrive today but it's snowing so who knows?

I should mention that aside from the missing thread... the screws seem pretty good!
    Last edited by noyloj; 19-01-2017 at 09:05 PM.

Stick the screw in the lathe chuck (with something protecting the screw) and use a drill chuck in your tailstock with the chuck jaws wound right in to keep it square, wind the chick.in as you spin the die (not the chuck)....that's how I do it....😁

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Stick the screw in the lathe chuck (with something protecting the screw) and use a drill chuck in your tailstock with the chuck jaws wound right in to keep it square, wind the chick.in as you spin the die (not the chuck)....that's how I do it....��

Hi Neil

This is something like what I wanted to do but the 2MT taper on the rotary table is too small to take the 16mm ballscrew...

What do you mean with about using the drill chuck to keep it square btw?

Ah... I gotcha!

Thanks Jo
    Last edited by noyloj; 13-01-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Just read your post again Jo and see your dilemma, clamp 2 bits of 3"x2" wood together and drill a 14mm hole or largest drill bit you have nearest that size if not got that size, equi spaced through the join. Do this twice and use them as clamps for your ballscrew. Then screw them down to a flat work bench/door (but maybe not kitchen worktop.....unless you're single 😉) with a suitable spacer underneath them so you can turn your die without hitting the surface. Screw down a batton parallel to your ballscrew 25mm offset from it and then make yourself a 345 triangle that you can use to slide against the batton thus keeping the die square to the ballscrew....

Last edited by njhussey; 13-01-2017 at 06:21 PM.
    Neil...

Build log...here

5. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Just read your post again Jo and see your dilemma, clamp 2 bits of 3"x2" wood together and drill a 14mm hole or largest drill bit you have nearest that size if not got that size, equi spaced through the join. Do this twice and use them as clamps for your ballscrew. Then screw them down to a flat work bench/door (but maybe not kitchen worktop.....unless you're single ��) with a suitable spacer underneath them so you can turn your die without hitting the surface. Screw down a batton parallel to your ballscrew 25mm offset from it and then make yourself a 345 triangle that you can use to slide against the batton thus keeping the die square to the ballscrew....

I like your thinking! A jig... Hmmmm

Perhaps in steel?....
    Last edited by noyloj; 17-01-2017 at 10:29 PM.

Yay!

Good news, having nothing to do today, since snow has further delayed the arrival of my UC300ETH motion controller, I pulled apart my old 'broken' Metrix 803B oscilloscope to see if I could identify the problem in preparation for my mill electrics/electronics and lo it was just a sticky switch! It doesn't get easier than that folks!

Gave her a good clean out inside at the same time I had her in bits... about an 1/8" of dust on everything horizontal!

Made a couple of mods cutting cables and putting in joiners to make her easier to pull apart, without a soldering iron, next time...
    Last edited by noyloj; 19-01-2017 at 09:24 PM.

Ok

UC300ETH motion controller arrived today... along with the bb2 (and some cables that don't quite work to connect the two. Damn it!)

Couldn't get it to power up contacted cncdrive.com and they diagnosed that the jumper behind the 5V power socket was in the wrong position... I had noticed it didn't correspond with the drawing in the manual but was too scared to swap it over in case the magic pixies fried my new board...

So the board powered up and eventually got recognized by my laptop.... that runs windows ten but doesn't have the dotNET 2.0 framework on it and wont allow me to install it... so on to Microsoft who have suggested downloading a later version of windows 10 and updating... PAINFULLY slow download that already dropped out once at 38%.

I'll leave her cooking tonight and see how the cookie crumbles on the morrow...

Gonna need to work out the electrics between the BOB and the drivers... PNP, NPN... who knows?

Someone here probably... or it's out with the Oscilloscope Captain Clingon!
    Last edited by noyloj; 17-01-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Windows 10 update is working now with the dotnet 2.0 framework.

UCCNC auto updated the firmware on the UC300 so they are playing nicely for the moment! I am using a direct connection from the laptop not through a router or switch... so I used a network crossover Ethernet cable not a straight one...

Wm16 Mill arrived today and I managed to split it into two and lug the pieces upstairs with the help of my neighbor.... Gonna have to find a good table or weld up a stand for her... The stand is probably the way forward... I've got some angle kicking about here somewhere... Could probably make it simply a skeleton and add sides and cabinet and/or drawer at a later date...

Currently transferring (via Ethernet LAN) all media and music from my laptop to my desktop so that I can strip it and set it up to run the motion controller and UCCNC and Mach3 and probably some other CAD software and bits and bobs related to the mill conversion... Must remember to rejig the LAN IP address etc. settings when I swap back the Ethernet cable for the motion controller...
    Last edited by noyloj; 19-01-2017 at 10:01 PM.

Mill in bits all over the place now... quick way to familiarise oneself with a bit of kit and a chance to give it a good clean and lube... Plenty of paint and sticky resiny oily varnish stuff everywhere including on the ways... dirt and grit and grinding residue too.

Quite surprised about the machining done to get the column perpendicular to the base... it looks like someone took a grinder to the machined mating surfaces! Will try and tidy this up after she's cleaned reassembled and I've put the dial to her...

Otherwise pretty much as I imagined except that the saddle looks to have been machined with the intention of fitting ballscrews and mounts... the hole for the x-axis clamp block is much bigger than I've seen and is just about perfectly sized for the cheapo Chinese mount I bought, also a shallow 1mm slot already milled in it that might allow enough clearance for x axis screw...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information