. .
    Just about to join the world of cnc once I have built the machine that is.
    Making a simple 2 axis laser engraver which can be converted to 3 axis with a router once I have mastered 2.

Where is the best place to buy linear tracking rods and lead screws?
    I have ordered most things from ebay but am wary of ordering rods/screws from there as I dont trust the postal services to deliver them straight.
    Thanks ever so much. :)

Hi there, welcome to the forum!! Most seem to buy their ballscrews (I presume you're meaning ballscrews and not Trapezoidal lead screw?) from Fred at BST Automation over on Aliexpress. He has good prices and packs your ballscrews and linear rails well apparently (I've not ordered from him but others on the forum have said good things about his stuff and packing!) The requirements for a laser and a router are slightly different, if you make the machine suitable for a laser then it'll not be suitable for a router, lasers need speed and routers need stiffness (and speed.)
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thanks Neil, Linear Rails and Lead Screws have now been ordered.
    For the routing side, it will be an experiment with a small Dremel type tool, not expecting it to be wonderful but an experiment to prove I can do it, I might then decide to make a larger more sturdier machine once I am happy. Likewise with the laser, once I have mastered the basics of engraving, I might upgrade to a CO2 laser cutter.
    Thanks ever so much.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoltonian View Post
    For the routing side, it will be an experiment with a small Dremel type tool, not expecting it to be wonderful but an experiment to prove I can do it, I might then decide to make a larger more sturdier machine once I am happy. Likewise with the laser, once I have mastered the basics of engraving, I might upgrade to a CO2 laser cutter.
    Thanks ever so much.
    No problems, good luck with your build, if you put up a build log then we can all advise on the best route for what you want to achieve!
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoltonian View Post
    Thanks ever so much.

Hey fella,
    welcome to the forum, have you any designs or photos of what you've got so far?

Thread Information