. .

Thread: Cheap N Easy

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    I admire your persistence but the fact you've moved to an aluminium frame was something I knew you would from the first post I read of yours. MDF/wood has just too much flex and also aluminium 10 years later is still aluminium MDF could easily be a mush.

I started my build very much like you (except that I was always going to have aluminium frame) but as I got to the end you start to realise there is a reason everyone tells you to get Hiwin's style rails and ballscrews because they work and they work well.

Cheap (Sub £1000) and decent router are not words that go together.
    Last edited by Desertboy; 12-09-2017 at 11:24 AM.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    I admire your persistence but the fact you've moved to an aluminium frame was something I knew you would from the first post I read of yours. MDF/wood has just too much flex and also aluminium 10 years later is still aluminium MDF could easily be a mush.

I started my build very much like you (except that I was always going to have aluminium frame) but as I got to the end you start to realise there is a reason everyone tells you to get Hiwin's style rails and ballscrews because they work and they work well.

Cheap (Sub £1000) and decent router are not words that go together.
    ROFL, I love you man. But me thinks you got me wrong.
    The aluminium frame in the photo is 1 of two of my baby CNC's
    I still use my large wooden one and am making a aluminium one just because i can.

My wooden machine is Ply and Timber i used MDF to prototype parts (cheap stuff).
    SO far cuts Hard and soft wood, perspex and slate.
    Think That Qualifies as Decent?

I was going to use a chain drive but could find the parts i wanted so ended up ball n screw.
    as for the rails My lovely door runners have held out and work like a cool summer breeze.

Router/Trimmer £40
    Rails n Wheels £70 ish 120cm
    Screws n Bits x3 £40 ish 100cm
    Stepper Motors x4 £100
    Drivers x4 £30
    Controller £20

£300 as wood was all scrap i had that didn't cost me anything.
    I Think that qualifies as cheap?

So my Cheap CNC Router is Decent ! lol look all three words in yet another sentence.

Of course depends on what qualifies as "precision" and "repeatability" for you. What you have done so far is in the 1-2mm region at best. if that suits you, then great. Most people trying to make a machine aim at least 0.1mm, the good builds aim at 0.05mm, exceptional builds can achieve 0.01 mm.

PS. I am talking "all over" not "absolute". I don't think possible to achieve absolute precision better than 0.05mm. Where "all over" means when you measure a machined element and "absolute" meaning at each point in the working area.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

All jokes aside.

Yes over the years all metal will out last wood.
    and i like ball screws over belts n stuff.
    i'm just not on the page that you have to use this or that type of this or that.

Hey Bro,

My first big cutter (as i call it) She's made with no love, not much care and she's gonna die due to it.
    Hence while shes working i'd thought i'll make another.

Shes pretty accurate as i'm always stopping and restarting my cuts (repeating ) due to something i forgot to add or take out.

Example would be this piece of old roofing tile, as they are not flat or even i had to repeat parts until they were closer to being the same depth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170911_173356.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	313.7 KB 
ID:	22777

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information