. .

Thread: Cheap N Easy

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Well I've been told to start a build log for a Cheap n Easy CNC with cutting area of 900mm x 900mm.
    As I would like to turn this into a kit a some point I'll stick up what Ii can for criticism.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 44 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCKitMan View Post
    Well I've been told to start a build log for a Cheap n Easy CNC with cutting area of 900mm x 900mm.
    As I would like to turn this into a kit a some point I'll stick up what Ii can for criticism.
    I don't think I told you but suggested it But please don't be offended by what you get in feedback as it is all meant in good faith.

You will need to state what your aims are ie what you want to cut with it etc

Good luck with the build.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

No hard feelings fella, it was a little blunt . I'd love to know what the problem you see me encountering. as i may be able to pre plan away the issue before it arises.

I've just been giving the DL on past posts which makes everything clear now.
    I'm not planning on disapearing but to produce. hopefully i'll have something to show you sketch wise shortly.
    Last edited by CNCKitMan; 03-01-2017 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Adding info

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CNC2.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	20178

Real Crap Basic idea of what i'm looking to do.
    In regards to general shape and approx motor placements, bearing guides etc.

Don't worry about the criticism. Of course start building one. It is great fun, and you learn a lot. I started off with the same ambitions also, building a cheap one, which in theory is easy.

I started with buying an infamous blue card + three NEM23 motors and a PSU and a DC spindle motor. I bought that blue card because I knew I could make it work (I am an electronics engineer by trade), if it is really as crappy as it's rumour says. After cutting a few meters of aluminium profiles, drilling some holes and bolting all together I realized that it is going to be too weak... and my project stalled because I was not sure I wanted to pay what it costs to buy better material, mainly because I was a bit unsure about being able to finish it.

...then one day I decided to continue, bought better material, and after a few months managed to finish a working version one. It was not something to write home about, but it worked and it proved my own abilities. Used "curtain rods" i.e. unsupported rods as linear slide, used M12 stainless steel screw rods and made my own nut to get zero backlash. I knew it's weaknesses already when I decided to make it, but I accepted them because I just wanted to know if I can make it work.

I realized that it was great fun both to use and to make the CNC, so I continued, decided to upgrade and basically converted the whole machine. New electronics, new spindle, new linear rails, ball screws, PSU as well as a considerably more rigid frame. So, basically now I am on my version three and now I am happy with it. It is not a beauty, but it does what I intend to use it for and it does it very well.

Costs? Well, I stopped counting a long time ago. It's a hobby, so costs doesn't matter as long as it is not tearing on the family economy. Never the less, it did definitely cost more than £1800 so far, I am very sure of that.

BTW, mine is a fixed gantry type, the table moves in Y direction and the Z slides across the table in X direction. I chose this type of design because it gives better rigidity and is easier to build a high quality machine this way.

Thanks for the kind words!

My end goal is to have a vertical sheet sized machine (not any time soon)

I'm prototyping with ply (had plenty) but have seen them seemingly made from MDF and sold?
    So i'm aiming for some sort of inner repeating pattern to establish rigidity without excess weight.

I'll keep every comment in mind as i muddle through.

Thanks Again!

Whoopie today my first set of u groove bearing's turned up. Also by a stroke of cheeky luck I scored 4 1.2m mild steel equal angles for free. After 10mins of tinkering I'm now rolling x and y. Still wait for my couplings and sprocket's.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 44 Minutes Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Whoopie today my first set of u groove bearing's turned up. Also by a stroke of cheeky luck I scored 4 1.2m mild steel equal angles for free. After 10mins of tinkering I'm now rolling x and y. Still wait for my couplings and sprocket's.
    How about some pics, anything in cad yet?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Hmm, kit, 900x900? What made you choose that working area? Thats something new.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    Hmm, kit, 900x900? What made you choose that working area? Thats something new.
    Parts I had laying about mainly. I wanted to have a decent size as prototype for when I repeat if successful for a full sheet cutter.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information