. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Happy New Year all,

A quick video of some aluminium work, where I pushed adaptive clearing a bit too far. Parameters were DoC 15mm, stepover 3.2mm optimal.

Interestingly it was the spindle that overloaded and shut down rather than chip weld or the usual horrors..

What is the spindle rating? I was surprised the endmill did not break when the machine was still moving later. The whole 'wood' area moves but the endmill remains, incredible.

Hi Chaz - that was the 2.2KW water-cooled variant.

As Jazz says if the bed was moving and allowing the cutter to take more than the desired 3.2mm then that might account for the spindle cut out. I've generally found that 8mm tools tend to survive very rough treatment, whilst 6mm and below don't. Last time I used an 8mm when something went wrong it welded itself into the plate and the machine then started walking itself off the table under spindle power, which was pretty scary, but the tool stayed intact.

I was even more grateful this time that the part wasn't ruined as I'd just finished cutting on the underside (hence the 4 hold down screws). This was the "cut out" toolpath in essence.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    What is the spindle rating? I was surprised the endmill did not break when the machine was still moving later. The whole 'wood' area moves but the endmill remains, incredible.
    Wood moving was the only reason endmill was saved he's lucky lucky boy . .

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 3 Weeks Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Hi Chaz - that was the 2.2KW water-cooled variant.

As Jazz says if the bed was moving and allowing the cutter to take more than the desired 3.2mm then that might account for the spindle cut out. I've generally found that 8mm tools tend to survive very rough treatment, whilst 6mm and below don't. Last time I used an 8mm when something went wrong it welded itself into the plate and the machine then started walking itself off the table under spindle power, which was pretty scary, but the tool stayed intact.

I was even more grateful this time that the part wasn't ruined as I'd just finished cutting on the underside (hence the 4 hold down screws). This was the "cut out" toolpath in essence.
    Awesome.

As soon as I get my misting system working on my little Denford, I want to do the same. I am however limited to about 4400 RPM via a 1.5KW AC Servo, so my level of adaptive is not the same but Im keen to see how far I can push.

Awesome.

As soon as I get my misting system working on my little Denford, I want to do the same. I am however limited to about 4400 RPM via a 1.5KW AC Servo, so my level of adaptive is not the same but Im keen to see how far I can push.
    Use larger cutter if possible and you'll stand more chance. Smaller cutters need the high rpm and will fail quickly if run with low rpm at high feeds.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Use larger cutter if possible and you'll stand more chance. Smaller cutters need the high rpm and will fail quickly if run with low rpm at high feeds.
    Currently use 8mm roughing and 10mm finishing end mills. I think Ive got a 10mm roughing one I can try.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    So I managed to get one set of cuts done and then snapped an 8mm roughing mill on the 2nd try.

Just uploading the vids now.

Details there, 4K RPM, 1250 mm/min, 3 flute 8mm roughing mill. DOC 10mm, WOC 1mm.
    Last edited by Chaz; 05-01-2017 at 06:45 PM.

And then failed attempt. Surprised by the endmill snapping. Expected more but I am severely limited by RPM. Sorry. the Youtube info isnt shown unless you watch it there but its at 1500mm/min.
    Last edited by Chaz; 05-01-2017 at 08:36 PM.

And then failed attempt. Surprised by the endmill snapping. Expected more but I am severely limited by RPM. Sorry. the Youtube info isnt shown unless you watch it there but its at 1500mm/min.
    That looks like drove the tool into material on positional move rather than trying to take cut. Did you simulate the toolpath to check for any crashes.?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information