. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Happy New Year all,

A quick video of some aluminium work, where I pushed adaptive clearing a bit too far. Parameters were DoC 15mm, stepover 3.2mm optimal.

Interestingly it was the spindle that overloaded and shut down rather than chip weld or the usual horrors..

Ouch.!! Yes touch aggressive.

Just Did test to see what i-machining would spit out for same material and cutter/flutes etc at it's most aggressive setting which is level 8.
    So for simple circle pocket 15mm DOC gave 16810rpm 3769 feed 1.970mm stepover.

Level 3 or 4 is what I normally run at.
    Level 3 12878rpm 2117 feed 1.116 step
    level 4 13431rpm, 2233 feed 1.550 step

What feeds and RPM was that.?
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 03-01-2017 at 05:44 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Its good to see cockups (we all make them) well at least the cutter didn't break What was the RPM?
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Ah thanks for that Dean, I'll retry with level 3 and see if that works. It should work as it wasn't the usual chip weld, but rather the spindle went into "DU" which is an Amp overload iirc

My F&S's were F2760mm/min and 17,642rpm - GWizard generated with HSM and roughing options checked.

The whole video (once I've finished editing) has 6 and 4mm tools cutting fine with similar strategies - the 6mm was at 10mm DoC, which was frankly astounding considering previous experience.

As Clive says, nice to see cock ups as well as triumphs.....I like the way the sacrificial bed moves to save the cutter when the spindle overloads
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    Ah thanks for that Dean, I'll retry with level 3 and see if that works. It should work as it wasn't the usual chip weld, but rather the spindle went into "DU" which is an Amp overload iirc
    It will work because level 3 isn't over aggressive. But Even at that speed scares the crap out of me when goes flying around into corners etc and more chance catching shooting Star than hitting E-stop before tool breaks when shit hits fan.! ..

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    As Clive says, nice to see cock ups as well as triumphs.....I like the way the sacrificial bed moves to save the cutter when the spindle overloads
    Eyes like a SHrat
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I like the way the sacrificial bed moves to save the cutter when the spindle overloads
    To be honest I think that would have contributed to the stall slightly because if you watch carefully it starts moving around soon into the cut and because the cut was so aggressive was pulling material into the cutter increasing the step over.
    When first watched saw that straight away and first thoughts where it had pulled into cutter but after checking i-machining can see it was bit aggressive but just for laughs think I'd try again with stiffer setup.
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 03-01-2017 at 06:11 PM.

All in the cough....design...cough cough ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Washout View Post
    All in the cough....design...cough cough ;-)
    Good safety feature
    Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information