. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Frequent reader but first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a chinese 2.2kw gantry CNC with all the bells and whistles which is adequate for most work I need to do however there are some work pieces that are either too big to fit under or too tough for the spindle, so I have decided to upgrade my pathetic, seldom used NuTool drill press for something a bit more substantial.

I'm looking for something with enough Z axis travel and accuracy to use a tapping head such as a tapmatic for tapping threads in aluminium. My budget isn't massive, maybe £400/£500, but there's so much crap out there and I don't know what to look for. Ideally a bench top drill but I wouldn't rule out a floor drill if the price was right.

Used or new isn't an issue but the budget would have to include collecting/delivery and whatever is needed to get it running true. I drive a VW Scirocco (tiny boot) so I'm limited in what I can collect myself.

Thanks for any advice much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper View Post
    Frequent reader but first post here so sorry if it's in the wrong place. I have a chinese 2.2kw gantry CNC with all the bells and whistles which is adequate for most work I need to do however there are some work pieces that are either too big to fit under or too tough for the spindle, so I have decided to upgrade my pathetic, seldom used NuTool drill press for something a bit more substantial.

I'm looking for something with enough Z axis travel and accuracy to use a tapping head such as a tapmatic for tapping threads in aluminium. My budget isn't massive, maybe £400/£500, but there's so much crap out there and I don't know what to look for. Ideally a bench top drill but I wouldn't rule out a floor drill if the price was right.

Used or new isn't an issue but the budget would have to include collecting/delivery and whatever is needed to get it running true. I drive a VW Scirocco (tiny boot) so I'm limited in what I can collect myself.

Thanks for any advice much appreciated.
    I have been using this Warco drill press for a while now and it is very good (post #6). I don't use a TapMatic head but still very successfully tap threads in aluminum 'by hand' using the chuck to support the tap to get it started.

This drill press, in common with most, has a fraction of a mm side to side freeplay in the spindle, especially when extended, so don't know if this affects TapMatic operation or not?

http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/7699-...ht=drill+press

It is a solid well made unit, well within your budget and delivery is free. After sales is also very good.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

After sales is also very good.
    I reluctantly have to disagree as I have purchased quite a bit of stuff from them including a WM18 and wanted to changed the spindle to R8 it took weeks to get a quote after numerous calls they just weren't interested and told me it would take 3 months to get one.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    I reluctantly have to disagree as I have purchased quite a bit of stuff from them including a WM18 and wanted to changed the spindle to R8 it took weeks to get a quote after numerous calls they just weren't interested and told me it would take 3 months to get one.
    Sorry to hear that Clive. Well I can only go on my own experiences and they have been good. I've bought lots of smaller stuff from them plus the drill and lathe. I've made numerous technical enquiries about things prior to purchase and after purchase for that I needed to check on, and swapped out a DRO etc. with no issues at all and quick responses. Been to the HQ for the open days and chatted to them, plus at the shows. Seem very friendly and accommodating. But good to get all views and experiences so the OP can make a choice
    Last edited by routercnc; 04-01-2017 at 11:43 PM.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naerok-Pil...sAAOSw241YXFg6

1hp floor standing, even adding delivery and a good quality inverter plus new motor (if it needs one) that's still within your budget.

If you keep your eyes open the occasional round column Mill/Drill also comes up within your budget, my floor standing Mill/Drill was around £400 and has around 4 feet under the quill for large jobs ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Sorry to hear that Clive. Well I can only go on my own experiences and they have been good. I've bought lots of smaller stuff from them plus the drill and lathe. I've made numerous technical enquiries about things prior to purchase and after purchase for that I needed to check on, and swapped out a DRO etc. with no issues at all and quick responses. Been to the HQ for the open days and chatted to them, plus at the shows. Seem very friendly and accommodating. But good to get all views and experiences so the OP can make a choice
    Yes having said that I can't knock the quality of the stuff that I have bought and I am happy with it.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Ive got one of the el cheapo units with the slop in the headstock. It works but not well. Will be looking to see if I can improve it over the coming days - Ive seen a vid of someone that turns a new headstock with better tolerances and replaces the unit with a somewhat marked improvement.

Thanks for the responses so far. I'm not in any way, shape or form an engineer or even trained, I just buy these tools and figure out the rest for myself. As such I'm not clued up on what to look out for and what to avoid, which manufacturers are reputable and which are the same tat sold under different brands for wildly varying prices.

A mill / drill was ideally what I wanted, but they come with a price tag. The Sieg SX2/2.7 in particular was what I had been looking for (2nd hand) but one never popped up. These things usually tend to go on sale on forums, and are sold within a day of being posted so it's difficult to catch them.

After having recently received 40 faulty components which need seized steel inserts drilling out and replacing ASAP (they don't fit under the NuTool when clamped with a drill bit in the chuck, and I doubt it'd be up to it anyway) the matter has become more pressing so I'm probably going to have to settle for a straight out drill.

I remember reading your thread a few months back routercnc, when I first thought about getting a proper drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Ive got one of the el cheapo units with the slop in the headstock. It works but not well. Will be looking to see if I can improve it over the coming days - Ive seen a vid of someone that turns a new headstock with better tolerances and replaces the unit with a somewhat marked improvement.
    Sounds like 'this old tony' on YouTube. He upgraded a cheap drill press with a new quill (just for fun mainly). Not what the OP wants but good viewing anyway.

Lives in Ickenham, West London, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 1 Week Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,600. Received thanks 110 times, giving thanks to others 69 times.
    Quote Originally Posted by routercnc View Post
    Sounds like 'this old tony' on YouTube. He upgraded a cheap drill press with a new quill (just for fun mainly). Not what the OP wants but good viewing anyway.
    Thanks, ill go find it and see what was involved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information