. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Just wondered what types of electrical connectors people like to use on their machines?

I'm currently rigging up a Z-axis probe, and so want something that is reliable and latched so that it won't come adrift without me noticing. I'm thinking an XLR type connector could be appropriate, but I thought I'd cast the net out to see what forum members use more generally on their machines for the motor drives, limit/home switches and probes. Or is hard wiring preferred?

Looking forward to hearing any thoughts!

Cheers
    Graeme

Hi Graeme,

I use hard wired for mine, less to come loose and cause problems 😁

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

Quote Originally Posted by njhussey View Post
    Hi Graeme,

I use hard wired for mine, less to come loose and cause problems 😁

My first build used 4 pin xlr's worked well.

There are some pretty heft stuff available in RS if you are inclined to spend.

May actually have some male and female 4 pin XLR's left over if you are interested.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

I'm using XLR 4-pin for motor connections. Signal connections (limit switches, e-stop, touch plate, etc) use GX16, bought cheap from Aliexpress. That's (I believe) the same connector that the usual air- and water-cooled spindles use with a screwed locking ring for security. Just hold them over a box or tray when you try to refit the fiddly little screw on the side...

Hardwired. And buy yourself conductive tape from Aliexpress, so motor, limit switch and similar are properly grounded both sides
    Last edited by Boyan Silyavski; 11-01-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Lives in Cambridge, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12-02-2024 Has been a member for 8-9 years. Has a total post count of 83. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Thanks for the feedback, guys - some good suggestions there!

From this small sample it seems like there's no single solution, and that hardwiring is often chosen. I can certainly see why that might be a good approach. I suppose it depends on the circumstances.

In my case I am keen to have my touch plate detachable, but obviously there is no room for this connection to be unreliable, else cutter breakages will occur! Hence a good quality latching connector, if you have to use one at all, is essential. I now have a couple of options to investigate further!

Just curious, Boyan - how do you deploy your conductive tape? Would you mind elaborating?

Cheers
    Graeme

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 18 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    how do you deploy your conductive tape? Would you mind elaborating?
    I don't see any reason to do this, just what is the point
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by GND View Post

Just curious, Boyan - how do you deploy your conductive tape? Would you mind elaborating?
    Limit switches and servo connection example. may be not "by the book" as it must be using collars bolted to frame, but works fine

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170111_174214.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	238.7 KB 
ID:	20327 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170111_175506.jpg 
Views:	220 
Size:	260.6 KB 
ID:	20328
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Thanks Boyan - so essentially shielding?

If you're just talking about a touch plate why not use 4mm banana plugs? That way the wire can be fixed and put out the way and then plugged in to the plate (or corner plate)

Neil...

Build log...here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information