. .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    So if you are following the usual dimensions you will find the a M10x1.5 does not pass over the 8mm section. We typically use M10x1.0 as it also allows you to get a finer adjustment on the locking nut.

In answer to your original question, if you have rolled screws, then yes, you can use a die. I have done this with a M10x1.0 and as long as you are square on, you will be fine. You may need to use more lube than usual here.

Thanks a lot! That's great news as I do have rolled ballscrews...

I knew if asked long enough someone would give me the answer I wanted!

Also my whack idea about the rotary table as screw cutting lathe ain't gonna work as the 2MT small end in the table is smaller than 16mm...

So carefully by hand with plenty of lube it is... sounds familiar!
    Last edited by noyloj; 11-01-2017 at 11:45 PM.

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 77 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    I knew if asked long enough someone would give me the answer I wanted!
    That's the trouble if you ask enough people you will eventually get the answer to want to hear.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Clive S View Post
    That's the trouble if you ask enough people you will eventually get the answer to want to hear.
    Well our man Komatias has actually done it... soooo.... I'm gonna have to give it a shot!

Thanks everyone I'll let you know how I get on in my build log if I ever manage to find a M10 x 1mm HSS die in the wilds here!

Post it to me with the nut you want to use and I'll cut the thread on my lathe for the price of return postage.

Edit: Sorry I'm retracting that offer - I don't think this will help you as much as it might at first appear.

John S hit the nail on the head with "They can be screwcut with tipped tooling but I wouldn't fancy my chances with a die.".
    Last edited by Jonathan; 12-01-2017 at 12:31 AM.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Because John S has done it hundreds of times with his own compact design for mounting the motor, bearing, nut and coupling.

Patented that is as well.

No sticking the motor on two plates and 4 pillars. Its a CNC machine not a fcuking clock.
    Last edited by John S; 12-01-2017 at 12:16 AM.
    John S -

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post

No sticking the motor on two plates and 4 pillars. Its a CNC machine not a fcuking clock.
    AMEN!

Now, guys, remember, the conversion is done on the cheap and the expectations will be of the same order of magnitude.

Would I die cut again? Nah, I would just buy machined ballscrews and be done with it.
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by komatias View Post
    AMEN!

Now, guys, remember, the conversion is done on the cheap and the expectations will be of the same order of magnitude.

Would I die cut again? Nah, I would just buy machined ballscrews and be done with it.
    In fairness to the OP he did say that the Chinese forgot to do the thread when they machined the ballscrew....he's just trying to fix it as cheaply as possible with the tools he has 😊

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
    Neil...

Build log...here

9. The Following User Says Thank You to njhussey For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Because John S has done it hundreds of times with his own compact design for mounting the motor, bearing, nut and coupling.

Patented that is as well.

Yes, that is a thing of beauty! I was thinking of a couple of bits of machined 4" x 2" angle ally machined up to form a square pr possibly welding up a few plates into a box kinda like the Damon CNC solution... Buerk! Clumsy in comparison but hopefully enough to get me to a position where I can CNC machine a neater solution...
    Last edited by noyloj; 12-01-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Post it to me with the nut you want to use and I'll cut the thread on my lathe for the price of return postage.

Edit: Sorry I'm retracting that offer - I don't think this will help you as much as it might at first appear.

John S hit the nail on the head with "They can be screwcut with tipped tooling but I wouldn't fancy my chances with a die.".
    Thanks anyhow, but I've gone ahead and bought the die already on ebay... Looks like Old Skool rules for me!
    Last edited by noyloj; 12-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Lives in bristol, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 26-11-2017 Has been a member for 4-5 years. Has a total post count of 31. Received thanks 3 times, giving thanks to others 0 times.
    Depends how good you are.

Material is not a problem it is not "superhard", it peeled and rolled thread, typically St 52 , surface is hard due plastic deformation

Core is relatively soft. the best method would be to use the lathe, but it shall not be a problem to do it manually presuming you will use proper oil and non-chinese die ...

regards
    Last edited by fifa; 22-02-2017 at 10:10 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information