. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have a 6040Z 4 axis machine, which has worked well for the past year or so. I decided it was time I controlled the spindle via Mach3, but am having problems.

The control box has JMC 2M542-06 drivers for the X,Y and Z axis and a small generic one for the A axis, with a JP-845 four axis control board. All four axis work great, no problems there, and a Nowforever EN100S2R2B VFD.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20170110-WA0008.jpg 
Views:	1276 
Size:	261.2 KB 
ID:	20352

The VFD connections I would use are X1 - Fwd control, AN1 - 0-10V for speed contol and COM

Name:	20170114_132816.jpg 
Views:	942 
Size:	216.7 KB 
ID:	20351

I have two different BoB's that I could use;

Name:	pwm out.jpg 
Views:	1648 
Size:	310.4 KB 
ID:	20353

The JP-845 (image attached) has an unused PWM out socket on the board and what appear to be two relay outputs. The PWM pins are unmarked, and with a DMM I have found two of the pins have a constant 5V across them, while the other two don't seem to do anything. The relay pins are marked No.1, COM, No.2, COM.

No matter how I connect the pins up, I cannot get this to work - the speed of the spindle is not controlled by inputs from Mach3, and the spindle is constantly energised.

I cannot find any info regarding this Bob on the net.

Name:	20170114_132803.jpg 
Views:	1259 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	20350

The other is a generic 5 axis BoB (image attached). I have connected this up, and everything works except the spindle control. I have the AN1 0-10V connected to the + pin on the board and the COM to the GND. The X1 (FWD) pin is connected to pin 17 on the board.

Now, this is where I am stuck, and probably being really bone - I don't know if I need the relay jumper on or not and, in fact, whether this is the correct way to do it. I have read several posts where people have linked to this second board, saying they use them, but there are no connection details/

Could someone help me out with this please, I'm going nuts!

You can find the manual on my dropbox https://www.dropbox.com/s/gfq4isvihn...rd-EN.pdf?dl=0 if it helps.

Thanks for that, it has a lot more info than the manual I had.

I'm still not entirely sure if I have it connected correctly or not

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 19.55.57.png 
Views:	1681 
Size:	579.5 KB 
ID:	20369

I have the X1 (FWD) wire from the VFD connected to pin 17
    I have the COM wire connected to the GND port on the board
    I have the 0 - 10V wire connected to the + port on the board
    Last edited by Noddy; 14-01-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Hi Noddy,

I am sorry that I cannot advise you from experience. I use this board, but only to switch a Kress using an external relay board controlled from a spare output (A or B step, but I can't remember which).

If you have a multimeter set it to volts DC range 0-20v and I would put it on the + and GND to see that you get a voltage up to 10v proportional to the speed setting in Mach3. If that is not so, then you need to look at Mach3 settings. If it is OK then you need to check the VFD connections and parameters.

That multimeter check should indicate which way to look (first).

Cheers,

Rob

Second board has a bug, Ou need to have both power supplies to use all functions. I used diode bridge and condensator to get 12 volts and phone charger to get power to usb port :)

Poslano sa mog MI 5 koristeći Tapatalk

Thanks Rob, I'll give that a go and report back - it's Nanny and Granddad have the kids day today, so won't be able to check until tomorrow, I'll be too knackered to look later lol.

Cheers,
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    it's Nanny and Granddad have the kids day today, so won't be able to check until tomorrow, I'll be too knackered to look later lol.
    ~Know the feeling !

Well, I'm kind of getting there. I can control the speed from the board now, but I can't turn the spindle on/off. If I change the VFD settings to start the spindle from the front panel, it works.

There are three possible settings for the spindle on/off control;

0 = front panel control
    1 = analogue terminal control (which it should be to control via Mach3 from the info I have)
    2 = communication control

I've tried all three with no luck with switching the spindle on/off in Mach3, this kind of defeats the object of the exercise if I can only control the speed.

I have checked continuity of the cable, which is fine. I can hear the relay on the BoB operating, and the relay LED lights up on the board when it's energised. I have 24v and USB 5V supply to the board, and have checked both Voltages (24.06V and 4.94V), which are fine. The spindle speed pins are putting out 0 - 9.6V depending upon the speed setting, and the speed of the spindle rises and falls in line with the voltage/speed setting within Mach3 as expected.

Can't think of sod all else - any ideas??

Edited to add; my machine came with a four pin plug on the VFD, but only three core cable was used from the control box to the spindle. I changed this to four core to add the earth wire, and soldered a wire from the earth pin in the spindle and earthed it. I also added an earth wire from the earth pin on the VFD to the earth pin on the back of the spindle socket on the control board.
    Last edited by Noddy; 17-01-2017 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added more info

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
    The spindle speed pins are putting out 0 - 0.6V depending upon the speed setting, and the speed of the spindle rises and falls in line with the voltage/speed setting within Mach3 as expected.
    Should that not be 0-10V?
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Sorry, yes -typo, I meant to type 9.6V
    Last edited by Noddy; 17-01-2017 at 05:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information