. .
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_2253.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	20373Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1885.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	20356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1887.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	238.3 KB 
ID:	20357Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1891.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	229.3 KB 
ID:	20359Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1890.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	167.0 KB 
ID:	20358

Hello Guys,

I am wanting to get my 3 phase planer working on single phase electric.

1. As far as I know a there are 3 ways introducing a capacitor to the parent motor
    2. A 3 phase converter static, rotary or digital
    3. Change the motor for a 240v motor (I was thinking a 3HP or 4HP but have no idea really)

I think I prefer the last option but am unsure what is best.

I could mount a new motor but I would be lost on what motor I would need to buy, from where, and how to wire it all up etc

If one or two of you guys can help it would be fantastic

I want to be building my CNC still but nowhere near ready to start still saving up and get other jobs done before I start! As you will see the main motor the one with pulley drive the second via a chain

Many thanks

Steve
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1879.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	234.5 KB 
ID:	20355  
    Last edited by suesi34e; 15-01-2017 at 05:19 PM.

It's a dual voltage motor so simply wire it Delta (240v on the motor plate) and use a 240v VFD.
    Job done ;-)

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Wow Nick, that way a quick relply tar very much.

I can see how I would wire it in delta (i think by watching videos) but I have know idea what a VFD does or what one I would need. Wire a plug is a taxing one for me - not quite but you get my drift!!!
    Many thanks
    Steve

VFD takes (in this case) 240V single-phase in and produces 240V 3-phase output. As Nick says, you are lucky to have a dual-voltage motor, so change connections to delta, buy a "cheap" VFD (maybe £150 new?) and plug in and go. It's a variable-frequency drive, but in this case you'll set it for 50 Hz output, fixed.

Cheers very much Neale. I understand what your saying you explain it well. I guess I got the wrong end of the stick before beacuse I got in contact with a firm in Notingham and I asked about Jaguar VFD but each one I enquired about they seemed to say it was no good! I will consider myself luck be really pleased if I can buy something for anything like £150
    Many thanks Steve

The best bit of advise I can give you if you are not happy with the high voltages involved is ask an electrician to wire it up for you otherwise it could become very costly
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Wiring is easy, LNG from your three pin plug into the VFD and T1, T2, T3 and Earth from VDF to motor, swap any two phase wires to the motor to reverse direction and get forward an reverse how you like it.
    If you go VFD try to buy one that has decent documentation, it makes a massive difference when you're getting something working,

- Nick
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Hi Nick thank you I will take a look and see if I can find one that suits my motor. Good explaining of an idea of how to wire up.
    If any of you guys know of one that would best suit my motor and heads up on it, link or model number would be grand. I will try and find one that comes with good documentation and with a bit of luck after sales care! Many thanks Steve

Hi Clive, I am the cautious type so I will get someone to wire it up that knows a lot more than me otherwise I could blow the whole lot sky high! Many thanks Steve

You could start by speaking to these people http://www.drivesdirect.co.uk/ and tell them you motor size and what it is being used for.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information