. .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The IGBT you linked to is TO220 package, but the original is TO247 so you should look for that instead. Also the voltage rating (surprisingly) is 1200V, so I would get the same unless replacing all of them. I would replace both in the same 'leg' on the inverter - so 2 out of 6, unless more seem to be fried.
    Old router build log here. New router build log here. Lathe build log here.
    Electric motorbike project here.

Ok, this model is a better choice ? http://www.distrelec.ch/fr/igbt-to-2...=50&simi=96.69

That's better. Next check that the turn on/turn off delay times in the datasheet are no greater than those of the original. Same for the total gate charge (Qg). This is for compatibility with the programmed dead time and gate drive. If those specifications are met you can be reasonably confident that it's suitable. You could go into more detail (e.g. compare the Vds vs Ids), but it's not really worth it for a cheap product and you would need to identify more components in the circuit to be sure.

Edit: Also, in order of preference for brands I would go with for IGBTs are Infineon, IR, ST / ON Semi & others. But this is pretty subjective.

[P.S. I'm trying to demonstrate how to choose - not just give you a link. For reference, I've found some in England for around 3 CHF.]
    Last edited by Jonathan; 23-01-2017 at 08:34 PM.

I appreciate your help, I'm reading more about these IGBT to have a better understanding of these.
    Is it better to have the nearest value as possible or just lower than the original? I think the nearest, am I right?
    There is different type of "TO247" like TO-247-3, is it the same?

So, I found some of them, the cheapest one I found with corresponding datasheet: 1,2,3

I would go with the first one if you think it's a good choice or I'm missing something ?

I'm interested to see if you will be able to repair your vfd as I also have a similar one with the same problem, but I have some more damage on the PCB. My IGBTs are the Fairchild FGA25N120, possibly the more expensive ones but not sure what's the difference between the two. Anyway I wanted to let you know that on exactly the same PCB, the Chinese fitted these IBGTs in my unit. No sure if it helps..

Quote Originally Posted by BriceO View Post
    Is it better to have the nearest value as possible or just lower than the original? I think the nearest, am I right?
    It depends on the parameter. For a new design, you want the lowest values that affect the conduction and switching losses, so the forward voltage and switching time (related to gate charge) respectively. However when replacing a part you need to consider that the engineer will have matched the gate drive circuit to the particular IGBT, one would hope at least. Switching faster leads to more emi, so it's common to intentionally switch the devices more slowly (by increasing the gate series resistor) to reduce the emi to meet a specification. You could look at what gate resistors you have, versus the datasheet values - but bear in mind the datasheet isn't definitive. At best it's a good guideline, at worst it's a marketing document designed to make you buy the part.

This sort of thing matters more with bigger devices, like these 900 Amp ones I've been playing with lately:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC07256 (Large).JPG 
Views:	267 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	20490

There is different type of "TO247" like TO-247-3, is it the same?
    I think the -3 is just designating that the part has three pins. One important thing to check is if the package of the ones you have has metal on the back, or is all plastic? If plastic, then you should either get the same or add insulation to the new ones (bit awkward).

I would go with the first one if you think it's a good choice or I'm missing something ?
    I think it's OK - the forward voltage is a bit higher so it will heat up more, but the current used with these spindles tends to be a lot less than the VFD rating so you will get away with it. If it breaks again you know what to do...

Hi everyone,

Good news! After replacing two diodes, one resistance and two IGBT, the VFD works perfectly. I hope this will last...

Thanks for your help!! Very happy to see it work again!

Hi everyone,

Good news! After replacing two diodes, one resistance and two IGBT, the VFD works perfectly. I hope this will last...

Thanks for your help!! Very happy to see it work again!

Hello! Glad that you got success. As I burnde my HY VFD too, please can you tell which IGBT equivalent did you use?

Quote Originally Posted by alexpi01 View Post
    Hello! Glad that you got success. As I burnde my HY VFD too, please can you tell which IGBT equivalent did you use?
    Hi,
    Thanks, I use this one: kdg15n120h for 2 X US4.5/pcs by HitMart Chinese (Aliexpress). But you can certainly use different one. Check the message of Jonathan to choose an IGBT.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hi,
    Thanks, I use this one: kdg15n120h for 2 X US4.5/pcs by HitMart Chinese (Aliexpress). But you can certainly use different one. Check the message of Jonathan to choose an IGBT.
    If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
    Thanks BriceO! I already read (carefully) all this thread, including Jonathan hints. On Aliexpress this item has disappeared and I hoped you, following Jonathan's hints , had choose an equivalence between tens of approximately equivalent items around-the-world.
    Luckily, yesterday evening, hovering the Internet and seeking kdg15n120h, I might "stepped on a swarm" and this morning I got around 10 offers for this item, under 1$/pcs.
    Extraordinary people these Chinese...

For those who will be in a similar situation it's good to know the locationa of that "swarm": http://www.seekic.com/

Thank you again

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information