. .
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Been doing a bit more testing tonight and decided to see the results on aluminium with 5 different type's of cutters.

1 - Alimaster 2 flute 8mm
    2 - HSS 2 flute 6mm
    3 - HSS 6mm ripper
    4 - Solid carbide 2 flute 6mm
    5 - K2 coated 3 flute 6mm

Ran them all at the same speed and feeds to see which gave the best surface finish results, spindle speeds 4000rpm and 6000rpm, feedrate 300mmpm, side cutting taking 0.5mm off which is what i would normally leave for finishing, depth of cut dependent on cutter length. Tried both climb and conventional milling with each cutter.

Results -

1 - Alimaster - Certainly removes material easily but not the best surface finish.

2 - HSS 2 flute 6mm - Cuts nice but still get the chatter lines, surface finish similar to alimaster.

3 - HSS 6mm Ripper - Does what it says on the tin, rips the material off very easily without producing loads of swarf. Finish not good but definitely my choice for roughing.

4 - Solid carbide 6mm 2 flute - This gave a poor finish, carbide is very hard and sounded like it when it was cutting. Kept leaving lots of very small but even ridges. May need to be pushed harder to get best results.

5 - K2 coated 3 flute 6mm - Cheapest cutter of the lot and gave the best results, i put it mainly down to it having more flutes than the others which helps with the intermittent cutting. I have not got any 4 flute cutters but i will be getting some to try.

A few photo's attached, did not take photo's of all the results as some started to look similar to others so did not see much point!

Conclusion - More flutes give a better finish but a ripper is best for roughing out, also need a more sturdy machine to give a better surface finish, but now at least I know what surface finish the machine is capable of and what to expect from it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solid carbide 4000rpm 300mmpm conv.jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	357.4 KB 
ID:	3205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cutters1.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	273.3 KB 
ID:	3206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solid carbide 4000rpm 300mmpm climb.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	3207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K2 Coated 3 flute 6000rpm 300mmpm climb.jpg 
Views:	294 
Size:	420.0 KB 
ID:	3208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alimaster 6000rpm 300mmpm conv.jpg 
Views:	292 
Size:	358.5 KB 
ID:	3209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alimaster 6000rpm 300mmpm climb.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	386.9 KB 
ID:	3210   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alimaster 4000rpm 300mmpm conv.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	3211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Alimaster 4000rpm 300mmpm climb.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	397.0 KB 
ID:	3212  

2. Interesting Steve, i use the alu-power alot also, ive noticed that when i use them to mill say a pocket the bottom face is never super clean, it alway leave swirl marks but when do a finishing pass of a profile on some 12mm alloy DOC 0.1mm spindle at 12000 rpm feed at 600mm/min i get a mirror finish. im also going to try some k2's seeing as they are on offer at the mo.

On your video have you limited you coolant flow or is that what the pump flows normally?

Quote Originally Posted by AdCNC View Post

On your video have you limited you coolant flow or is that what the pump flows normally?
    Aydee,

There is a tap on the stayput nozzle to adjust the flow and usually I have it about half way open. The biggest problem is getting the coolant back to the tank through the 16mm bore return pipe, machine turns into a paddling pool fairly quickly!

4. I see, i have concocted my own coolant system from a parts washer, and what i have done is position it under where i am cutting, at the moment tho i have used some polythene sheet as a catch to funnel the coolant back into the parts washer and i have made a removable screen that goes around the spindle from some clear plastic that is used for doorway screens.

When i get five ill pop some pictures up on my thread

Hi Steve

Just a quick question. About to build my own CNC at last! What was the size and part nos for your THK linear Slides? Can you recommend a good supplier for these
    in the uk?

Thanks
    Mike Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    Can you recommend a good supplier for these
    in the uk?
    eBay ... but you'll have to wait for the right place. Are you sure you need THK as unless it's some amazingly accurate machine from what I've heard the other brands (Hiwin, NSK etc) are fine for what most people make. Greater errors due to other factors.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonathan For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jonathan - I'll look into these other brands

I am back....!

Got a little bit sidetracked last year building an extension on my house, all finished now so hopefully more time for playing in the workshop

I get quite a few emails regarding this machine build so if anyone does have any questions then put them on here so that everyone can benefit from them.

Hi HiltonSteve

Well Thanks to your "inspirational" build log I've finally got my design sorted out http://www.mycncuk.com/forums/showth...gn-Build/page4 and now trying source aluminium plate for the build. And I've got bathrooms to refurbish

Cheers
    Mike

11. Quote Originally Posted by MikeyC38 View Post
    now trying source aluminium plate for the build
    e
    Hi, only new to this but been designing and redesigning for a decent while now, I'm sure you all know the feeling! I have come across aluminium warehouse http://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/cutting_calc.php - they sell cast plate at what seems a reasonable price.... Fantastic build by the way Steve I am going to shamelessly plagiarise!

Joe

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread Information