. .
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by dachopper View Post
    I have read the manual, the drive IS DESIGNED to be operated at 50Volts, and already has a 10 volt buffer - it works up to 60 Volts.
    The manual on page 3 says:

CAUTION!
    Power supply voltage in excess of 50 VDC will damage the G540.
    I would not try with anything near 60V, and would keep the voltage below 50V, since that is the maximum.

Update - I finally skyped tech support, and they have been great.

The problem appears to be the result of several factors, but is related to switching power supply / 4 motor combo / and a setting on the G540

Gecko are testing out a mod to the G540 to see if they can get it to work with this power supply in particular, and the 4 motors I have.

I'll let you know the result incase others have the same issue.

Nick
    Never the less, as several people already pointed out, that PSU is under powered for 4 x 3.5A motors. Build a torioidal transformer based PSU and you'll never look back...

Better still scrap the outdated Gecko and get something at least designed in this century.
    John S -

We will see, if the new power supply fixes the problem, I'm happy. If not I will probably try the leadshine the am882 quite cheap now it's no longer made, much different to new em series? . It's by no means a "cheap" change so we will see.

I did get my x axis running at 18,000 mm/min when I changed to the 42 volt pwr from 30 volt, so I should get another increase going to the max 50.

To clarify gecko tech support told me that 48 volt should be fine to use, and anything up to 50 volt should be fine with this system. IE it is designed and tested to run at higher voltages, and downrated to 50 volts for the consumer to avoid issues and to include a large enough safety buffer. Anything that fails below 50 is an anomaly.
    Last edited by dachopper; 21-02-2017 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Add

All I can say is you have the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ostrich.png 
Views:	182 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	20864syndrome. As was pointed out in the original post kits are very seldom a matched set of parts. Go with AM882 and 68V PS and you will have a different machine .
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Is $40 per am882 a good price?

I would say very good but check the del charge
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

I do not think you can get them at that price. Be careful not to get defective units/ factory rejects or something. I got them at $75 with free standard shipping or at additional cost for DHL/UPS

so I should get another increase going to the max 50.

To clarify gecko tech support told me that 48 volt should be fine to use, and anything up to 50 volt should be fine with this system. IE it is designed and tested to run at higher voltages, and downrated to 50 volts for the consumer to avoid issues and to include a large enough safety buffer. Anything that fails below 50 is an anomaly.
    I'll warn you again because don't care what Gecko says, if you run those drives at 50V you will considerably shorten there life.!!

If you can get AM882 for $40 then buy them instantly. Feed them 60v+ and watch your machine dance like never before.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information