. .
    I am having trouble finding a bit i need for a job , i need to cut some internal threads so i am after basically a v grooving bit but with the cutting edge facing outwards.

this is similar to what i am after

V Groove Bit

I have found a 1/2 " shank bit on ebay but was after something a bit smaller, i am not looking to spend a lot as its only a one off job

Anyone ever purchased a a bit like this before or know where to get one?

regards
    Adam

Hi Adam

You are looking for a thread mill.

I have bought a number from http://www.drill-service.co.uk/ WNT and others but they are not cheap.

Do you know what size and type of thread you need to cut? I may have one brand new that I am not going to be using any time soon but it must meet your needs
    https://emvioeng.com
    Machine tools and 3D printing supplies. Expanding constantly.

Hi komatias, thanks for the info, just had a look at that website and this is the kind of thing im after

Link

I should be more specific in that rather than an actual thread i want to use the bit to create rings inside a routed shape, sometimes it might be just one ring other times several, it would be nice to have the option of continuous threads but being able to just make the rings is the most important part. I could possibly use a very small keyhole cutter but it would need to be only about 2mm in depth of the cutting edge

If you can't find a single groove thread mill you can buy a suitably sized thread mill and grind off all but one set of groove cutters.
    In addition to thread mills I use an Iscar MGCH 06 bar with GIQR and GIQL inserts for milling grooves and some thread milling, turning internal and external grooves and some thread turning, tips are available in a range of square groove widths, metric and imperial thread angles, round tip, back-boring etc. so it's not a one-trick pony,

- Nick

EDIT - The Iscar option looks reasonably priced given the linked products, I've paid from £25 to £40 for a bar and £2.50 to £14 for tips from the ever popular auction site.
    Last edited by magicniner; 30-01-2017 at 08:30 PM.
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Thanks Nick, like you say the Iscar option looks reasonably priced considering its versatility, will definitely look into that one thanks.

Just grind a three penny lump of High Speed Steel into whatever shape you want.
    Don't over think it.
    John S -

ebay number 381136836082 and he had more of that before. 6 euro each discounted from 50 euro each. You willnot find any better. Hopefully will be the right size for you.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Boyan,

Not the cheapest with the £12 postage!

peter

Quote Originally Posted by ptjw7uk View Post
    Boyan,

Not the cheapest with the £12 postage!

peter
    I dont buy singular tools, even from China for that exact reason. I dont remember ever spending less than 50-60 euros per purchase ever. Buy tools for 100 euro and shipping and customs will be 20-30 cents per tool
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

Hi Boyan, i knew i had seen these bits somewhere before, i have purchased quite a few bits off Drillman but didn't think to check this time. I will certainly be buying a few of them for tapping, but they are of no use for the current task as the depth is only .20 inches and i need to be able to get down about 15 mm ideally for the current job, but thanks anyway as i will need some of those drillman bits at some point

Thread Information