. .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Hi Jazzcnc i have to disagree with you regarding running mach3 on a parallel port laptop and your remark about frequency, i have to ask where did you get your information from as i have successfully run a old ibm T42 that wont run the correct freq for mach3 as standard the only change i made was with a bit of software that changes the freq to the correct freq for mach3, nothing to do with port voltage or power management at all on this laptop oh except for turning of the screen saver timeout.

Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Buck's you'll do well to listen to Clive he's trying to help you not feed you full of Shit like some on here are doing regards these Cheap chinese machines.
    They will let you down and they will require maintenance in short period of time. All this talk of upgrading etc is rubbish because you can't make Silk purse out of sows Ear and that's what you buying with these machines.

Also Mach3 running from Laptop with parallel port is at best lottery, some work, most don't. It's also got nothing to do with the Frequency and everything thing to do with Voltage and power management. Also You CANNOT use Parallel port to USB converter and don't let anyone tell you different.
    There are Special Devices like UC100 which are Motion control devices which go between the parallel port but there are not converters in the conventional sense.

The simple fact is these Chinese machines are OK for learning but they will break down and will require maintenance within short period of time.
    If you buy one with the intension of using as learning tool and don't expect the world then will be fine. If your wanting to do high quality work in difficult materials then forget them they will disappoint you.
    THANKS for you input Jazz

With regards to Clive there are nicer ways of putting things ain't there, I've seen quite a few posts on here with people jumping down newbies throats for asking simple questions & not realising or having the sort of money that might be required in an ideal world, maybe people like Clive get fed up with these questions but he's sort of comments don't make newbies feel very welcome!

With regards to your comments on the parallel ports on laptops, I've since realised my laptop doesn't have a parallel port, so am now looking at the USB conected machines

Unfortunatly these Chinese machines are all I can afford, so that's why I'm wanting to buy new rather than used, so hopefully it will last a little longer before having to replace parts, hopefully this 800w water cooled with USB & ball screws that im looking at sounds like a bit better quality than the others (I could be wrong)

What do you class as difficult materials? We'll be using HDPE, Hardwood, epoxy & polyurethane resins, all are lovely to turn on a lathe so I'm hoping that they arnt difficult materials!
    Last edited by Bucks; 07-02-2017 at 12:00 AM.

My mum use to tell be if you haven't got anything good or positive to say, don't say anything!!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ostrich.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	20665

If you re read all may posts to you from both threads you will see that you only have had good advise from me.
    You only seem to want to hear the positive on these machines and sticking your head in the sand on the negatives.

So go ahead and convince yourself that the machine is wonderful and a good investment and listen to what Dean has said who probably has had more experience than anybody else on the forum.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Hi Jazzcnc i have to disagree with you regarding running mach3 on a parallel port laptop and your remark about frequency, i have to ask where did you get your information from as i have successfully run a old ibm T42 that wont run the correct freq for mach3 as standard the only change i made was with a bit of software that changes the freq to the correct freq for mach3, nothing to do with port voltage or power management at all on this laptop oh except for turning of the screen saver timeout.
    I got my information from years of using Mach3 and dealing with people who have tried to use laptops. If you read again I didn't say cannot use Laptop I said it's lottery.!!
    You where lucky and have "ONE" that works but there are many that don't and it's got nothing to do with frequency on most. Often it's because of the way laptops are designed hardware wise regards power mangement and the Voltage they provide at the port. It's known Fact and actually stated by Artsoft that Mach3 isn't Compatible or supported when using Laptops because of in consistances between them.

Only safe way to use Laptop and KNOW it will work reliably is via an external motion controller.! . . . .Parallel port becomes lottery with Laptops.

Jacks, Clive like many on here doesn't have time to waste on people who don't listen which happens often on Forums. He wasn't to me jumping down your throat he was trying to get you to listen and some times this needs Shock tactics.! . . . Don't take offense just need Tuffen up little because you'll get more along the way it's just how forums are.! . . Clives a Good Egg who knows is stuff.

Regards Materials it's not always about the Actual Hardness that makes them tuff materials to cut it's the feeds and speeds required to cut correctly. It's here were these machines often fail badly. Just because they can cut the stuff doesn't mean they are cutting it correctly. To be honest I often see adverts for these machines and it makes me laugh when they state the materials they cut. . . Why.? . . Because they can't possibly reach the feeds required To cut most of those materials correctly and the harder ones they are just not strong enough to cut.!! . . End result is poor finish quality, low accuracy and high tool wear not to mention taking for ever to cut.!

But like I say great entry level learning tools.!! . . . . . . Most that sing there praises have probably never used proper CNC Router so know no different.! . . . .Those that have will tell you it's night and day difference.!

Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    Only safe way to use Laptop and KNOW it will work reliably is via an external motion controller.! . . . .Parallel port becomes lottery with Laptops.
    Is this the same as with a USB control box? our only option is a laptop as we don't have room for a PC due to our iMac! If we would need a external motion controller do you know what sort of price these would be?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    Is this the same as with a USB control box? our only option is a laptop as we don't have room for a PC due to our iMac! If we would need a external motion controller do you know what sort of price these would be?
    Any device using USB with Mach3 would be considered External Motion controller. 99% of External Motion controllers USB or Ethernet will require and come with Plug-in software for mach3. This replaces the parallel port driver and tells mach3 how to talk to the new device. There are few chinese offerings which say don't require Plug-in but these are best avoided.
    The only USB devise I'd recommend for Mach3 comes from these people and is about the cheapist way to convert from PP to USB. It's called UC100. They also have other higher spec USB Motion controllers but if spending that money then I'd recommending not using USB and go with Ethernet as it's much better and more stable. USB isn't great for CNC and not all so-called USB devices are the same.!
    http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 07-02-2017 at 12:46 AM.

rofl at this thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p29786153.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	20671

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Steel, are you still controlling a CNC with the IBM laptop via the parallel port?

Quote Originally Posted by paulus.v View Post
    Steel, are you still controlling a CNC with the IBM laptop via the parallel port?
    Hi Paulus yes i am, im running rightmark cpu clock utility without that the pulse frequency wont stay stable on 25000 instead it will jump around 2300 to 23900
    Its everything to do with the cpu not the output voltage from the parallel port

link is here http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...k_utility.html

if you have a laptop with parallel port that wont run mach 3 at 25000 then run this piece of software and under management setting check box "Run HLT command when os is idle"
    it works for me and i would be interested if it works on other laptops
    Last edited by Steel; 07-02-2017 at 08:16 PM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWqMpE5Z1QE There's a video of a 3020 engraving
    Last edited by Steel; 07-02-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread Information