. .
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
    Did a quick google & Ebay search foer Ethernet CNC & it just came up with boards etc, so are these upgrades for a the parallel port machines? I was origional looking at this https://www.amazon.co.uk/HPcutter-Ma...2BMachine&th=1
    Keep in mind what jazz posted above. If you want to use the machine for a business, it is not reliable. If it's for hobby and to get into the cnc world, than it could be better than a LEGO cnc. I see on amazon that most customers are satisfied with the machine. I have no personal experience with these cheap Chinese CNCs.

It is possible to upgrade to usb or ethernet but not worth it, for such a cheap machine. You have the option, for example, to get the UC100 + UCCNC software and use your laptop instead of buying a desktop PC and a mach3 licence. But I cannot tell you more as I never used them.

Be aware that the machine you linked has only the demo version of mach3 software.

There is a proxxon mf70 Inc mill on eBay now for 375. So with a cheap breakout board for 38 pounds from cnc4u and demo programs to start with.you are up and running for 400 pounds or so.I had a mf70 and for light work it's a good machine for the money
    Last edited by terry1956; 04-02-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks guys for the info so far

Do you have any links or model nos to quality new machines that we could start with then upgrade the boards etc if needed later?

Quality depends on money.look at euro trading and administer tools. There maybe other uk companies but I don't know of any

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    Hope this doesn't confuse things but I'm Mr Jacks lol

Would the laptop be ok, if we disable the power saving functions & had it plugged into the mains rather than battery power?

Price isn't set in stone Ideally looking to spend £500 to £1000, certainly not thousands though.
    Mr Jacks what work area size do you need ?
    Laptops are ok with parallel ports but some wont drive the mach3 software at the right frequency so you can download a program to your laptop that should fix the issue, just set the program to run at start up and you wont need to start it each time, its called rightmark cpu. just check the "run HLT command when os is idle" box under management that should be the only setting you need to make

Chinese machines like the 3020 or 3040 and 6040 are good machines some may have loose bearings but there around 25 pd for a pair of x axis bearings if you need them. Again work area size is whats important just make sure whatever you buy or build you can fit your work piece

Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Mr Jacks what work area size do you need ?
    Laptops are ok with parallel ports but some wont drive the mach3 software at the right frequency so you can download a program to your laptop that should fix the issue, just set the program to run at start up and you wont need to start it each time, its called rightmark cpu. just check the "run HLT command when os is idle" box under management that should be the only setting you need to make

Chinese machines like the 3020 or 3040 and 6040 are good machines some may have loose bearings but there around 25 pd for a pair of x axis bearings if you need them. Again work area size is whats important just make sure whatever you buy or build you can fit your work piece
    THANKS for the info Dave, it's much appreciated
    We are mainly wanting a cnc for engraving HDPE & Plastic (similar to stencils) that we can then use in patterns for casting silicone Moulds, so that we have some txt embossed into the side of the mould, the max size for these is about 50mm x 130mm, also we are would like to be able to engrave wooden pen cases & hopefully cut sections out of wooden & acrylic pen blanks! I.e. a take a acrylic blank approx 20mm diameter x 130-150mm long & cut out (with Valentine's Day coming up I'll say) hearts around the Blank then recast it with red resin so we get the red hearts in the blank when turned, also ideally maybe engraving pens & the bands but that maybe pushing it to far without a dedicated tiny machine? I realise the 30/40 machines I'm now looking at are bigger than required but if possible I'd like the option of being able to do other woodworking projects like plaques & clocks.

I wouldn't say it's for commercial use, but the penturning & moulds etc is a serious hobby that we are turning into a little sideline to boost our income.

I did order one of the parallel port 30/40s of Amazon, but cancelled it when I suddenly realised that my laptop that had been stashed in the cupboard for 6 years didn't even have a parallel port! I started looking on eBay at these two USB ones
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182425912226 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182253604089. I was thinking the 800w looks a lot better quality all round (as far as these Chinese ones go anyway) this is about at the top end of my budget!

So the big question is, Do you recon this 800w should do the job for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucks View Post
    THANKS for the info Dave, it's much appreciated
    We are mainly wanting a cnc for engraving HDPE & Plastic (similar to stencils) that we can then use in patterns for casting silicone Moulds, so that we have some txt embossed into the side of the mould, the max size for these is about 50mm x 130mm, also we are would like to be able to engrave wooden pen cases & hopefully cut sections out of wooden & acrylic pen blanks! I.e. a take a acrylic blank approx 20mm diameter x 130-150mm long & cut out (with Valentine's Day coming up I'll say) hearts around the Blank then recast it with red resin so we get the red hearts in the blank when turned, also ideally maybe engraving pens & the bands but that maybe pushing it to far without a dedicated tiny machine? I realise the 30/40 machines I'm now looking at are bigger than required but if possible I'd like the option of being able to do other woodworking projects like plaques & clocks.

I wouldn't say it's for commercial use, but the penturning & moulds etc is a serious hobby that we are turning into a little sideline to boost our income.

I did order one of the parallel port 30/40s of Amazon, but cancelled it when I suddenly realised that my laptop that had been stashed in the cupboard for 6 years didn't even have a parallel port! I started looking on eBay at these two USB ones
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182425912226 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182253604089. I was thinking the 800w looks a lot better quality all round (as far as these Chinese ones go anyway) this is about at the top end of my budget!

So the big question is, Do you recon this 800w should do the job for us?
    From what i understand the spindles on the 3020 and 3040 machines are not that good im using a KATSU 3/8" & 1/4" router got it from ebay for 40 pd new on my 3020T machine
    Im running a old ibm T42 with that bit of software i mentioned and it runs fine that cost me 18 pds on ebay, the cd didn't work nor the wifi but don't need those for cnc use.
    on ebay now there's this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CNC-Engrav...AAAOSw5cNYl4~S
    worth buying if you can get it for under 250 pd, i paid 235 for mine and apart from a little slack in the x axis bearings its fine so far.
    I think its a good place to start as there's only these 3 and 6 series machines for under a grand that have good ridged alloy structure and you can replace the bearings for under 70 pd for all axis's so really no point buying one new, some people have wiring problems but again if you have to replacing the wiring is not going to cost you more than a trip to the scrap metal yard and a quick look in there wire bin !!
    Other points to remember if your using the spindle that comes with the machine you should be fine buying end mills to fit but if like me your using a router with 1/4 chuck you need to get a 1/4 to 1/8th adapter less that 10 pd
    what size fonts will you be using on your text ?
    Last edited by Steel; 06-02-2017 at 09:14 PM.

Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6117 members to the community.
    To be honest I'm not really one for buying used gear if I can help it, I am seriously thinking of this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182253604089 it's USB, 800w water cooled spindle & has ball screws, but I'd be hoping if I bought this I wouldn't have to spending much on it for a while!
    Font size I haven't even thought of that yet but I would be thinking of probably about 8-10mm high on these stencil type things!

Even this 400w air cooled USB one seems to be higher spec than the standard parallel with 230w spindles http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182425912226

Hope I'm ok adding links to items on eBay?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information