. .

Thread: New Member

Hello mates, from across the pond.

My first CNC I built was around 1997, built almost entirely from LEGOs. I added my own steppers and homebuild electronics to control 2 axis using MS Qbasic. How far we've come.

My recent CNC build is a giant 40x20x10 (inches, sorry that's how we do over here) horizontal machine for general purpose but I mostly design and cut molds for 1/10 RC car body vacuum forming.

I use LinuxCNC with the HobbyCNC 4 axis controller.

I almost always end up doing "5 setups" to get at the top and 4 sides of each mold. There are almost always undercuts and fine engravings on the sides. I can manually tip and rotate the spindle on my machine.

I'm thinking of trying to build a sort of indexed lathe/2axis hybrid machine to get at all the different angles and undercuts with only 3 axis movement.

I'll try to find the right forum to post my ideas and questions in.

Thanks

Hi Gordon, welcome to the forum from across the pond!! I'm sure you'll find the answers to your questions in your other thread, maybe some pictures will help for others to visualise what you are trying to do? Making molds is one thing I want to get into for making canopies for RC gliders and planes and molds for fibreglass fuselages etc....anyway welcome and good luck
    Neil...

Build log...here

Thread Information