. .
    Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6131 members to the community.
    Hi, I've just ordered one of these China 3040 4 axis CNC machines from Amazon, I know it's a long way off being a top quality machine, but for the price hopefully it will more than do what we want at the moment, Looks like it's going to be a learning curve & I'm hoping to be able upgrade various parts on it as my CNC experience/requirements grow, we are very limited on room so we are stuck with this sort of size machine & hopefully be even be able to stick it away in a cupboard when not in use!

Hopefully I've made the right decision in this machine (only time will tell)
    Last edited by Bucks; 05-02-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Location unknown. Bucks Last Activity: Has a total post count of n/a. Referred 6131 members to the community.
    I cancelled the above machine & ordered this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182253604089 from Ebay, it's still a Chinese 30/40 machine but it's USB controlled, has a 800w water cooled motor & ball screws , it's the best I can afford as a new machine, as I'm not really into buying secondhand (bit me in the arse that many times in the past) I'm hoping that this machine is a bit higher standard than the cheapest Chinese 30/40 as it's about double the price & looking at the spec it seems to be higher spec/quality than than the others, despite the money side of things, we don't have room for anything bigger so I'm hoping this machine will be ok & see me through my cnc experience! I realise I'm going to have teething troubles with it & have to replace substandard parts on it (hopefully not straight away though) but I don't mind spending the couple of hundred quid here & there to hopefully improve it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 53.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	347.0 KB 
ID:	20696
    Last edited by Bucks; 08-02-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Now I need to work out which cutters I need for cutting/engraving HDPE!
    I realise I will probably need at least a couple of other sized collets.
    Last edited by Bucks; 08-02-2017 at 09:30 AM.

I had a brain fart yesterday lunchtime! So now busy knocking down a partition wall in my small garage/workshop & pinching back about 3ft of my wife's utility room to give me a bit more room LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 54.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	156.8 KB 
ID:	20697Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 55.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	288.9 KB 
ID:	20698

Sh can't really complain as about 3 years ago the whole lot was my workshop until I gave up half of it for the utility room, so I'm only pinching a bit of it back!

So you are just taking whats rightfully yours then

You will need 1/8 3mm and 6mm 1/4 collets for sure. Thats the most used ones. Of course you can choose only the metric, but sooner or later you will see a deal, so better have that 4 collets from start.

Basically that are the most used bits also. 3mm/ 1/8/ 2 flute spiral bits and 6mm / 1/4/ 2 flute spiral bits.

Of the 6mm is also best to have 60 degree V cutters for engraving, 2 flute straight bits for general purpose, short and long spiral bits for aluminum or wood cutting. Buy one 12mm and 19mm 2 flute bit 6mm shank, what they call at ebay "bottom cleaning " bit so you could surface with it and for faster material removal / wood/

You will eventually need some ball nose bits also in all sizes and its good to have 2-3mm diamond shaped cutters for composite materials

But to learn most of all buy 3mm 2 flute and 6mm 2 flute spiral bits in quantity.

All of these Carbide is best.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

THANKS for the info Boyan it's much appreciated, I'll have a proper read of it later tonight when I've knocked of from moving this wall!
    What are the best makes of bits & are there any makes to avoid or are they all very much the same?

Thread Information