. .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Top end, i think ill put a radial bearing in the middle to keep the shaft centered plus some sort of aluminum cap on both thrust bearings so i can bolt everything to the plate.
    Seems like it'd be easier just to use two angular contact bearings in the traditional setup? Don't need to be expensive ones.

But yeah, that'd do the job well enough. Much better plan than hanging it all off the stepper shaft.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 06-03-2017 at 09:21 PM.

I Just had a idea !!! thanks Routercnc !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Ok so maybe ill try this setup ? this is not the finished setup but you can get the idea.

Attachment 20985
    Excellent! Even if not perfect, it will greatly reduce the strain on the steppers and your accuracy will be miles better than the originally planned solution would give you and is pretty similar to what I did in my first build.

I used these 12mm pillow block bearings on X and Y:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	20990

I had one on each end of the screw and they definitely worked well for me to make pretty small things very accurately until I decided to upgrade.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 07-03-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Just a little bearing info chart, I have decided on a 3200 double row angular contact bearing 10x30x14 at the drive end and a 6000z at the other end

Name:	bearings use.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	658.3 KB 
ID:	20995
    Last edited by Steel; 07-03-2017 at 09:28 PM.

Only downside really of the double row AC approach is that you can't preload to remove any play like you can with two separate AC bearings back to back.

Will still be more than sufficient for this machine though, and far far better than the first design. Glad you are adding separate bearings.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 07-03-2017 at 11:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    Only downside really of the double row AC approach is that you can't preload to remove any play like you can with two separate AC bearings back to back.

Will still be more than sufficient for this machine though, and far far better than the first design. Glad you are adding separate bearings.
    Ahh i didnt think of that !!

If that double row option is easier and cheaper for you then I wouldn't sweat it too much... The backlash from it will be fairly minimal and not going to be the limiting factor on this machine - It's still a big improvement over your original plan.

Today had a hour free to make a quick holder to test the thrust bearings i have, made a few mistakes but im kinda on track, there was a radial bearing that fits in the holder between the two thrust bearings but the bearing i was going to use was only 8mm ID no good as the shaft has a 10mm thread on the end lol

Name:	thrust 1.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	21008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thrust 2.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	128.4 KB 
ID:	21009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thrust 3.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	21010

If you have fitted thrust bearings either end and a ball/deep groove bearing in the middle then that will work OK. If you only have the thrust bearings then your coupling (assuming you are using one between shaft and stepper) will not like the radial loads.

The cost of the proper (e.g. BK12/FK12) parts is not too bad (~£22 for angular contact bearing block set at stepper end and floating bearing set at other end):
    https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...612.0.0.xrHjqj

Name:	ballscrew_bearing_set.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	21017

This price is if bought separately. If bought with the ballscrew and nut as a complete kit I think this would end up much cheaper.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

I just found a 10x22x6 so yes thrust radial thrust

No wait i brought a 10x30x14 double angular bearing so ill just use that, heres a bearing holder i made for that bearing.

Name:	bearing holder.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	21021
    Last edited by Steel; 09-03-2017 at 09:02 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information