. .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel View Post
    Can you do me a favor and start a thread on your machine that way you can remove your links from my post and place them on your own post
    cheers Dave
    He hasn't placed any links on your post. They are part of his Signature and are on every post he makes which is perfectly fine.
    He's also correct in what he says and I don't see it as being negative.? What your doing is joke in terms of real cnc machine and these Important things should be pointed out for the sake of others who are new and thinking this is acceptable way to do things. It isn't correct or accurate and it will cause problems or fail so he's perfectly correct to point it out.
    End of the day this is forum for debate and if you post something then don't get upset when someone disagree's with how your doing things. Either explain why done this way or choose to just ignore the poster or better still accept and learn from them. But don't tell them to go away just because they are not blowing smoke up your arse or not saying what you want to hear.!! . .
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 01-03-2017 at 11:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JAZZCNC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZCNC View Post
    What your doing is joke in terms of real cnc machine and these Important things should be pointed out for the sake of others who are new and thinking this is acceptable way to do things.It isn't correct or accurate and it will cause problems or fail so he's perfectly correct to point it out:
    Why do you think its not acceptable to be creative, innovative, and experimentative and do things differently ? after all there's more than one way to make a chocolate cake right !!!

Why do you think its not acceptable to be creative, innovative, and experimentative and do things differently ? after all there's more than one way to make a chocolate cake right !!!
    Don't worry, experiment and be creative, nobody wants to prevent you from that, but the solution you came up with is not very experimental or innovative at all, been tried many times before and there are plenty YT movies about it as well. I was there once as well, thinking that it may be possible (but quickly realized it won't fit my needs), and yes, it is possible to do the way you want to do it, but like I said, depends on what your goals are. For learning (the hard way) is fine, for making things with it, it is not. At least not if precision is part of the equation...and you are wrong about the motor bearings, they are NOT made for this sort of job, they are just made for supporting the rotation of their own shafts, not the huge forces a CNC is putting on them, so they will fail pretty fast. But of course, you don't have to believe me, I am just an amateur just like you... I also like to experiment and like innovative solutions, and I learn something almost every day and not always listen to what others have to say, so just continue with your project. I just thought that you may be interested in what others may see but you don't. Of course it is acceptable to be creative. Don't be so childish.

please show me one youtube video of a fixed gantry draw slide build made of steel please, you wont find one !!!

your right us armateur's are just that I got no idea how much a thousands of an inch is in mm i have to google it !!

I can tell you none of my stepper bearings will fail due to direct mount and do you want to know how i know ?

I don't think it's unacceptable to be creative, innovative or experimental. However your not being creative or innovative.? You are being Tightfisted and cheap which are not to be confussed with the latter.! . . . . . If you took the same approach in baking Cake the outcome would be the same.? . . . It would taste Shite and end up in Bin.!

Experimenting is fine and something I fully encourage. But your not inventing or creating anything that hasn't been tried before by others dabbling in CNC. So please don't try to tell others that what your doing is OK and will work fine for CNC machine.! . . . It's not, it's complete rubbish and by the very nature of innapropriate components used along with piss poor engineering is doomed to fail.

So when experienced builders comment don't take it as being negative because they are actually trying to advise YOU and OTHERS against making big mistake.! . . . The time you have wasted on this crap would have been better spent reading the forum and then searching Ebay or selling sites for deals on suitable components. Just like if can't bake Cake better going to ASDA.!
    Last edited by JAZZCNC; 02-03-2017 at 09:11 PM.

I don't think it's unacceptable to be creative, innovative or experimental. However your not being creative or innovative.? You are being Tightfisted and cheap which are not to be confussed with the latter.! . . . . . If you took the same approach in baking Cake the outcome would be the same.? . . . It would taste Shite and end up in Bin.!

Experimenting is fine and something I fully encourage. But your not inventing or creating anything that hasn't been tried before by others dabbling in CNC. So please don't try to tell others that what your doing is OK and will work fine for CNC machine.! . . . It's not, it's complete rubbish and by the very nature of innapropriate components used along with piss poor engineering is doomed to fail.

So when experienced builders comment don't take it as being negative because they are actually trying to advise YOU and OTHERS against making big mistake.! . . . The time you have wasted on this crap would have been better spent reading the forum and then searching Ebay or selling sites for deals on suitable components. Just like if can't bake Cake better going to ASDA.!

Do you even know why im building this machine and what im using it for ?

Do you even know why im building this machine and what im using it for ?
    Icing Cakes.?

Icing Cakes.?
    keep guessing, do you think there's a cnc machine that's capable of surface accuracy of 1 micron over a 12 inch disk ?
    Last edited by Steel; 02-03-2017 at 09:54 PM.

keep guessing, do you think there's a cnc machine that's capable of surface accuracy of 1 micron over a 12 inch disk ?
    No thanks got better things to do and couldn't give a shit anyway. To answer your question then yes provided you have enough money. High end CNC grinders work in Nanometers not micrometers.

please show me one youtube video of a fixed gantry draw slide build made of steel please, you wont find one !!!

That's just three, but there were many in my list when I made a search just by entering "CNC drawer slides" in the search text box. Perhaps I am just lucky, I don't know, but if I say this is not new and not an innovative idea at all, or that there are plenty YT video examples I mean it. As you can see, more than one of those three links are about 5 years old links.

The only reason I commented your build was that you seem to have spent time in making a rigid frame, which is very good, and then weld the drawer slides on that frame, which in my opinion is not a good idea at all, since even if you have some exceptionally well made slides with zero play, you will not be able to square your machine properly.

BTW, I seriously doubt you will achieve 1 micron over 12" and can repeat that over and over again. Perhaps you meant 1 thou (0.0254mm), which if you lucky, you might be able to achieve and if you get that you can count yourself really lucky. More likely, you will get 1mm accuracy or even worse, especially over some time of use, when things start to wear out. I think that 1 micron (0.001mm) is a dream for any home made CNC, even more so for one which is welded at home using drawer slides and lead screws hanging on the motor without properly fixed bearings and curtain rods with delrin slides as Z. I know you won't believe me, but like Jazz said, you are not the only one reading this post, so it is important to point out some facts. Even measuring at that accuracy accurately requires better instruments than most DIY CNC builder can ever dream of. I have 0.02mm (20 microns, worst case) on my machine and I think that is excellent, considering the materials I have used and is definitely more than enough for my needs. But of course, I would not say no to 1 micron... if I could make that for a reasonable cost and in reasonable time (maybe when I retire in a few years time). Having that accuracy on each component is one thing, but once everything is assembled and you start to square... well, that's a completely different thing all together.

Again, that's just my experience and don't let me discourage you, but others who consider making something similar and expecting getting 1 micron accuracy should know that it will be a real challenge with those parts.

Edit:

One link was pasted twice, so only three links are unique so I removed one of the four.
    Last edited by A_Camera; 03-03-2017 at 02:39 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information