. .
    I am just stating down the cnc road. I want to say I find the diversity of the diy CNC community very interesting. On some forums they debate the merits of buying the "good" drawer slides or if the cheap ones will work vs this forum where it is the width of the hiwin rails that is discussed. I hummed and hawed for quite a while about what type of machine I should build. I did come close to building a small machine from MDF, it would have given me a lot of experience for very little money. In the end I did decide to build a machine with a steel frame that would have a cutting area of about 4' x 3'. Before finding this forum I did order some of my parts and they may not be ideal but I am going to forge ahead. I am sort of a design as you go type of guy which I think is a bit opposite to most of the members of this forum but diversity can be fun. I have started welding up my frame and will create a build log in the next week or so.

John.

Hi John and welcome to the forum. Yes you are correct the majority of people on here strive to get or make a descent machine that will cut ali. That is the plan anyway, There are and people still building MDF type machines but generally they build mark 2 and start building a better machine at some point.

Start a build log and ask any questions you like and be prepared for the banter.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Lives in Plymouth, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 12 Hours Ago Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 1,729. Received thanks 295 times, giving thanks to others 11 times.
    Good luck, John. I'm one of those that built an MDF machine, although I used steel pipe and skate bearings as guides. I used that machine for the best part of 5 years, but this afternoon I'm screwing the bed down on my mk2, welded steel and Hiwin rails. I think that there is a difference in approach between Europe and North America here, from basic design to choice of electronics. Diversity rules! I look forward to seeing your design as it develops.

Welcome to the forum John, diversity is good for all of us.
    I didn't know there was a London in Canada (but then again I didn't know there was a Newcastle in Australia either, before arriving down under), it looks like you live in a nice spot on the globe.
    Good luck with your build.
    Andy

Thread Information