. .
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OK So i just saw this on eBbbbbbay.

What do you think.
    for cutting of as many materials as possible no more than say 16mm in thickness (derr).

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCKitMan View Post
    OK So i just saw this on eBbbbbbay.

What do you think.
    for cutting of as many materials as possible no more than say 16mm in thickness (derr).
    There are several on that site!! 3Kw might be to too much for your macnine
    Last edited by Clive S; 10-02-2017 at 09:49 AM.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

I used a 2.2KW water-cooled spindle on my first MDF-built machine. OTT but I was expecting to re-use it on the mk2. However, it was responsible for warping the Z platform over time - too heavy and vastly over-powered (although it's now working fine on the mk2 which is strong enough to take it). That particular supplier only has 3KW spindles in stock which would be silly, and I was a bit confused that they are being despatched from "CA, United Kingdom". Based on my experience, if you want to go for a water-cooled spindle (much quieter and better for long runs than a simple router) I would go for the smallest model as being better matched to a timber-built machine. Limited collet size but you aren't going to be able to use large cutters anyway.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Neale For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    I used a 2.2KW water-cooled spindle on my first MDF-built machine. OTT but I was expecting to re-use it on the mk2. However, it was responsible for warping the Z platform over time - too heavy and vastly over-powered (although it's now working fine on the mk2 which is strong enough to take it). That particular supplier only has 3KW spindles in stock which would be silly, and I was a bit confused that they are being despatched from "CA, United Kingdom". Based on my experience, if you want to go for a water-cooled spindle (much quieter and better for long runs than a simple router) I would go for the smallest model as being better matched to a timber-built machine. Limited collet size but you aren't going to be able to use large cutters anyway.
    OK so OTT is the general reply so far. I'm hearing it will shake rattle n roll my parts of my machine.
    I'm looking for a spindle that will carry with me to my next stage. 1.5 k.w. - 2+K.w. is my thinking.
    I don't mind the spindle killing my current machine as long as it teaches me what to make stronger on the upgrade.

You could use a tool balancer at ceiling height to take a large percentage of the spindle weight, the side component of the tension in the line shouldn't affect a machine with limited X & Y travel
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

Lives in Marple Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 14 Hours Ago Forum Superstar, has done so much to help others, they deserve a medal. Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 3,333. Received thanks 618 times, giving thanks to others 78 times. Made a monetary donation to the upkeep of the community. Is a beta tester for Machinists Network features.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNCKitMan View Post
    OK so OTT is the general reply so far. I'm hearing it will shake rattle n roll my parts of my machine.
    I'm looking for a spindle that will carry with me to my next stage. 1.5 k.w. - 2+K.w. is my thinking.
    I don't mind the spindle killing my current machine as long as it teaches me what to make stronger on the upgrade.
    2.2Kw is the one most people seem to use but the 1.5Kw are Ok as well it is worth going for the water cooled version as they are very quiet.
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clive S For This Useful Post:

2.2kW have the advantage of the ER20 collet size, of course.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Doddy View Post
    2.2kW have the advantage of the ER20 collet size, of course.
    ...which is worth having. I've just been using a 2" bottom-clearing bit on a 1/2" shank which needs an ER20 collet. Mind you, the old MDF-built router would never have managed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Neale View Post
    ...which is worth having. I've just been using a 2" bottom-clearing bit on a 1/2" shank which needs an ER20 collet. Mind you, the old MDF-built router would never have managed it!
    Challenge accepted!

Cut more than cake challenge - completed
    Take a 2.2Kw Spindle - In Progress

lol

Nothing stops you limiting bit size with rigidity and having a spindle that's ready for your next machine ;-)
    You think that's too expensive? You're not a Model Engineer are you? :D

15. The Following User Says Thank You to magicniner For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information