. .
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Very nice.
    What type of material is SRBP?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Very nice work. I enjoy following your progress and the quality work you are doing.

Cheers, slow progress but progress none the less!

I'm a bit worried that my bearings in the spindle are on the way out, which is a bummer as its not that old. Can't feel any play but just towards the end of the second piece it makes some very unpleasant noises when cutting until you tweak the rpm out of what I assume is a resonance band. Wasn't doing it before.... I might have to delay the purchase of more materials next month to put the money into a new spindle instead and I had just spent hours getting the tram perfect!

Looking at this combo on ebay at the moment, I guess I could do with a new VFD either for the new machine or to sell with the old one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260626018545

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    Very nice.
    What type of material is SRBP?

Synthetic-resin-bonded-paper - phenolic resin boards, basically a generic name for tufnol kite type material. In larger sizes it's not exactly cheap (that 300x600x8mm sheet was about £30 iirc) but it's got good machining characteristics, is very dimensionally stable, accepts a thread nicely and has very low water absorption which is a plus when using coolant.

Looking at this combo on ebay at the moment, I guess I could do with a new VFD either for the new machine or to sell with the old one. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260626018545
    Yes that show the difference between the crap vfd and the good one with the two pics side by side
    ..Clive
    The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    Cheers, slow progress but progress none the less!

I'm a bit worried that my bearings in the spindle are on the way out, which is a bummer as its not that old. Can't feel any play but just towards the end of the second piece it makes some very unpleasant noises when cutting until you tweak the rpm out of what I assume is a resonance band. Wasn't doing it before.... I might have to delay the purchase of more materials next month to put the money into a new spindle instead and I had just spent hours getting the tram perfect!

I bought my spindle from the same seller. Note that the spindle earth is not connected, at least in mine it was not. Also, I went for a quality VFD instead of buying that Hy. I am using Modbus and the Hy, while they call it Modbus, does not talk Modbus. If I were you, I'd buy the motor, but would get a different VFD, something of a real brand.

Here is a bunch of 2.2kW VFD sold by the same shop I bought mine from.

https://inverterdrive.com/group/AC-I...al&StockOnly=1
    Last edited by A_Camera; 22-05-2017 at 12:41 PM.

I was interested in modbus actually, not that I know much about it at the moment other than it gives better rpm control - which of those models did you go for in the end? Cheers for the link.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 22-05-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Little more work today, I need to tidy things up a bit in the man cave so good excuse to get the motor mount plates made - allows me to install the screws and motor mounts to start getting things off my desk!

10mm eco-cast plate, done in much the same way as the other parts so far:

First fix:

Drilled and countersunk:

Second fix, finished:

Haven't got all the fixings I need (e.g. no countersunk screws long enough etc) but good enough for a test fit, motors are also placeholders. Motor mounts have 6mm dowel pins for alignment purposes:

Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 22-05-2017 at 05:27 PM.

SBRP - that's the first time I've heard that name for phenolic. Got it. Thanks.
    Your build is phenomenal. Well done.

Concerning a new VFD and MODBUS: I just recently set up a Hitachi WJ200 on the bench. I initially used 0-10v analog signal to control speed but the RPM drifted around somewhat due to electrical noise. It wasn't bad but I wanted to experiment with a digital solution. I was leaning towards MODBUS but not with much enthusiasm; Lots of configuring, several different components, driver's etc. Fortunately the Hitachi has a pulse stream input for speed control. I set up my spindle control in UCCNC to use step and direction output, connected the pulse stream input of the VFD to an axis output on my BOB and a little tuning later had it working very well. 2 wires, no driver's, no adapters and no RPM drift. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by 1Jumper10; 23-05-2017 at 12:54 AM.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find out whether or not the pokeys57cnc can do that... certainly a good option to consider.

great work very nice , what motor mounts are you using?

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information