. .
Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    Lives in Stockport, United Kingdom. Last Activity: 30-03-2023 Has been a member for 9-10 years. Has a total post count of 491. Received thanks 71 times, giving thanks to others 29 times.
    Beautiful. This build oozes quality. Looking forward to seeing it run.

Wal.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wal For This Useful Post:

Very kind, but if you want to see quality go visit routercnc's thread ;)

So I was going to show you some lovely Z-axis end plates, but I goofed them up (I know, shock horror right?). I must have put in the incorrect stock dimensions as it just missed the back edges by a fraction... something also went a bit wrong when doing some interpolated drilling and my X axis shifted by 1mm. Something I've never seen happen before on this machine.... Can't have been the motors skipping steps as they are closed loop and would have faulted so something perhaps happened on the PC end. As it happened it wasn't a big deal, just resulted in some messy and over sized internal screw holes but combined with the other mess up and I'm just going to bin them and start over... I can take the opportunity of having seen them to do a few little design tweaks at least.

So close but no cigar:

Roughing - 8mm DoC, 1mm WoC, 1500mm/min

Finish pass done

Flipping for reverse chamfer on the seal holders:

Shame I need to re-do them!

Anyway, in happier news my RoverCNC spindle mount arrived today and it's a beauty... I ended up paying almost as much in shipping as in cost of the part sadly, but it was worth it - so much nicer than the extruded type mounts you see everywhere, this one has been machined from a solid block. You can see the difference in how smooth the bore is and just laying down the spindle in the bottom half gives a super snug fit with no wobble. Should be a great improvement compared to the one on my current machine.

Mmmmm... chunky.

I also had a bit of a brain wave (or rather realised I was being stupid as usual), there was absolutely no need to separate the rail wiper seals from the central seal given that I was 3D printing them. I joined them up into one big unified seal instead which is a much better idea.... Nailed the printing, I made the error of not accounting for thermal shrinkage which is why they were a touch tight on the rails. A scale factor increase of 0.7% in X and Y put the dimensions spot on the money once the material had cooled and they are now a beautiful fit.

Quick test with the rails:

And top plate

Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 23-09-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Great work Zeeflyboy. Seals are looking really good too
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to routercnc For This Useful Post:

BAD@SS!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nickhofen View Post
    BAD@SS!!!
    Damn autocorrection, I wanted to write "It looks grate"!!!
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 23-09-2017 at 05:47 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

When I look at yours and routercnc work I don't think you're putting my work to shame I think I would have to climb a very long ladder to get as high as shame ha ha ha.

You make it look easy and as my mate said when I showed him your thread why don't I just do it like you do lol.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Cheers guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertboy View Post
    When I look at yours and routercnc work I don't think you're putting my work to shame I think I would have to climb a very long ladder to get as high as shame ha ha ha.

You make it look easy and as my mate said when I showed him your thread why don't I just do it like you do lol.
    I make it look easy? Despite my constant messing things up lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    Fair-do's to you, just thought i'd throw it out there ;)
    Absolutely, I never even knew they existed so glad you mentioned them.

Sometimes I wonder if I should do fewer but less incremental updates - not sure which you guys would prefer?

Anyway, for now a little extra work done today.

I've done a few tweaks to the Z-axis design after having a long think about how it's going to be assembled and aligned on the machine. To that end I've added an eccentric bushing to the top of each carriage mount and a 6mm dowel pin at the base to act as a pivot point. The idea being that I can install the backplate on the machine, lining it up square to the gantry arm. One dowel pin will provide a hangar while installing and ensure its central on the slider.

Then I can use a dial indicator to align the right carriages to a machinist square based off the bed, which will ensure the rails are aligned 90 degrees to the bed in X, then use those to dial in the left carriages.

Only had time to do one side of the carriage mounts today but It came out very nicely and for once I managed to make a part without messing anything up. When it cam to reaming the dowel pin hole I just had a very low feed rate and span the spindle by hand... I'm thinking there must be some sort of cunning arrangement I can come up with in future to spin the spindle slowly using a separate motor and some HTD belt/pulleys for things that need super low rpm like reaming/thread milling.

Anyhoo:

Top side finished

Flipped and bottom side done (used dowels to align with Y, then probed the reamed hole to determine zero)

I also designed a top seal for the motor mount, took a few prints to get it perfect as the CAD model of the motor mount isn't entirely correct in the non-critical dimensions:

There are some supersexy parts there..
    The vipers are a great idea but looks better still.
    Im also envious of the spindle bracket!

Well.. I know what I want for mk2 of my machine :D

Skickat från min SM-N910C via Tapatalk

Lovely work once again well done.

I would say release updates when you are ready and at a rate that feels enjoyable. It's easy to think everyone is tapping their fingers wait for new information but you are doing this for free and for fun so don't feel pressurised.
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Page 21 of 42 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread Information