. .
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    It’s a Glowforge Pro... finally arrived after buying one during the Kickstarter over 2 years ago. Thankfully that was at 50% the price that they are currently asking!

I have to say I thought that despite the marketing blurb of custom tubes etc it would be a mediocre laser but with an easy user interface for the non-technical missus to get to grips with, but first impressions are that it is actually a high quality bit of kit capable of some stunningly detailed results AND pretty easy to use.

Extraction wise, they have some fancy activated charcoal and hepa filter unit thingy but that is even more delayed than the laser itself and won’t be ready until the summer. It has pretty effective (and noisy) extraction fans and a hose connector on the back for drier hose. Currently that just gets shoved out the window to kill the squirrels.
    Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 12-01-2018 at 07:14 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Just loaded YouTube and the newest video was LinusTechTips showing off the Glowforge xD

Looks alright. And yes it is not cheap.
    Interested in the filter. New workshop does not have extraction and I am not allowed to bore a 4" hole in the wall. Not even for the tumble dryer -_-

ZeeFlyBoy would you be willing to share the fusion 360 files ?
    This thing is truly amazing in every aspect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Not It's understandable.
    Thanks

Haven't made any decisions on that yet, although I've been asked a few times.

I need to wait until I've got it all together to check for any design flaws or things that could just blatantly be done better before deciding about that... I've already had a few little re-designs and tweaks along the way which would have wasted people's time and materials had I already made the files available.

I do hope to be able to get back to this machine in about a month once this stuff at work is sorted out, so hopefully it'll only be a few months or so until it's all done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeflyboy View Post
    It’s a Glowforge Pro... finally arrived after buying one during the Kickstarter over 2 years ago. Thankfully that was at 50% the price that they are currently asking!

I have to say I thought that despite the marketing blurb of custom tubes etc it would be a mediocre laser but with an easy user interface for the non-technical missus to get to grips with, but first impressions are that it is actually a high quality bit of kit capable of some stunningly detailed results AND pretty easy to use.

Extraction wise, they have some fancy activated charcoal and hepa filter unit thingy but that is even more delayed than the laser itself and won’t be ready until the summer. It has pretty effective (and noisy) extraction fans and a hose connector on the back for drier hose. Currently that just gets shoved out the window to kill the squirrels.
    Word of advice don't cut PVC, the wife will die and more importantly the fumes will also damage the machine ;)

When you drill, cut or melt it with a laser lol the chlorine is released into the air. Chlorine gas was used as a nerve agent before mustard gas in WW1 it didn't work very well because charcoal filters it effectively but without the gas mask it's pretty affective.

How do I know this I drilled out 100 or so PVC pipes in an enclosed space and learnt a valuable lesson that day as well as taking 10 years off my life lol. But laser cutting releases a lot lot more gas then drilling.
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

yeah, not just PVC but any chlorinated plastic can produce chlorine gas when lasered... Apparently plenty of things to be careful about cutting due to what's released.

Hows the anodizing coming along?
    http://www.mycncuk.com/threads/10880...60cm-work-area My first CNC build WIP 120cm*80cm

If you didn't buy it from China the company you bought it from did ;)

Thanks Zeeflyboy for the response on the files. I will be watching till the end!!! I love the design. I would just scale it up to a (work area of 610mm x 915mm). And Specifically for aluminum/Brass cutting. I cannot believe the results you are getting with your current CNC.

So chaps, been a while...

Good news is the work stuff is all done with and I got the promotion so happy days - work on this project can soon resume!

While I've been away I've been thinking about designs though (hard to turn off the brain sometimes!) and I was keen to get my ideas for a better z-axis down on paper so to speak. Spent most of yesterday modelling and this is what came out... I'm actually thinking of scrapping my current design and going with this one instead right away as it is in my opinion much improved.

I would love to get some feedback, opinions etc while I'm still refining the design. It's pretty much mostly there, just a few details such as limit switches and grease points to sort out.

It reuses the ballscrew/nut and a few other components from the old design, but will require new rails/carriages.

Headline changes:

- 2:1 ratio belt drive (25mm HTD 5M) to isolate the Z-axis stepper from the hefty vibrations and also give it a better gearing advantage for the now pretty heavy Z-axis.

- Extended rails/front plate which now results in a permanently sealed/protected unit at all positions

- HGH25HA carriages (the size is more convenient) spaced much further apart in all directions for improved rigidity

- Rear mount HGR-T 25 rails for easier installation (increased size also will improve the rigidity of the Z-axis front plate when extended down).

- Ability to tram the entire axis while mounted with only the need to remove the bottom plate to do so.

- Marginally more compact with a reduction of 5mm in stick-out from the X-axis.

will share more details when it's completely finished, but as mentioned I'm keen for any input in the mean time.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread Information