. .
Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    I'm looking forward to your testing the backlash (or lack thereof) in those nice TBI screws and the bearings.

The reason is that I am going to build a similar small machine to yours, albeit with two ballscrews - driven by one motor and initially I was planning to get the Chinese ones from Fred, with double nuts. But these TBI ballnuts you have are also very tempting, they ooze quality.
    Edward

I guess double nuts will always have the edge longer-term in maintaining their backlash free nature (although worth noting TBI do double nuts too if that's what you are after).

I wasn't able to measure any backlash in the limited testing I've tried so far, resolution of the equipment was 0.01mm - more detailed testing will have to wait until the machine is assembled I'm afraid, which could mean waiting quite a long time at this rate!

Great work on the low profile vice system. I made a very much simpler and smaller one that comes in handy but yours looks better so following with interest.
    Will the knurled thumbwheel give enough grip to get pressure on the jaws? Perhaps drill radial holes to allow a tommy bar to be inserted to nip it up?
    Building a CNC machine to make a better one since 2010 . . .
    MK1 (1st photo), MK2, MK3, MK4

Cheers, yeah I was thinking of adding holes to allow a bar to help tighten it up.

So my wife gave birth to a happy little baby boy last weekend, which has as you may have guessed been consuming most of my play time! I haven't been able to do any milling but I have made a slow start on my anodising setup. I did a lot of reading up over the past week or two about LCD anodising method, and I've decided that the first thing I want to tackle is the anodising tank itself.

I bought a large polypropylene crate (just look for a number 5 and the letters PP) at homebase, which is big enough to fit the largest pieces I want to anodise at a little over 600mm long.

Problem is that I couldn't find anything with the length or depth required in a narrow width, so the crate is about 80L, probably 60 or so when filled to a level that I require. That's a lot of sulphuric acid, even if it is very dilute when using the LCD method. Seems that the recommended concentration for 6 ASF (amps per square foot) is 1:15, so I will need 3-4 litres of sulphuric acid to mix with 60 or so litres of water. It's also going to be very heavy, so my plan is to build a wheeled wooden frame around this crate to support it and make it easier to move around. There are definitely some logistics to consider with this much acid around and I may end up storing the solution in some appropriate plastic drums when not in use to keep things a bit safer.

To help keep the solution cool and with the happy side effect of displacing some volume from the tank thus reducing the amount of acid required I have made a PVC pipe system that I can pump cold water through to help keep the temperature down. Made using 32mm pipe and chemical welding

Next up will be the cathode bus bar and cathodes. From my reading Aluminium cathodes are better than lead in several regards, and means I don't need to worry about eventually disposing of lead contaminated solution.... but it seems the type of aluminium is quite specific for the best results. 6063-T6 is the specific type recommend, and I managed to find some fairly large extrusion in that formulation.

So far I have just cut up the pieces, the angle extrusion will be bolted to the square bus bar using stainless steel bolts (will be above the solution, not in it).

I am also considering my options for agitation. Easy one is air bubbling, but I've seen a few using acid-proof pumps to move the solution around which seems like a better option and would give me a mechanism for pumping the acid out into drums for storage and vice versa.

Anyone who has any experience with anodising I'm always up for helpful info given I'm a noob.

Last edited by Zeeflyboy; 17-08-2017 at 08:05 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

That contraption looks a little bit like a baby crib. Dont accidentally anodize the newborn :)

Congrats!
    Watching your build log with interest.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 1Jumper10 For This Useful Post:

Congratulations for the new member!
    Last edited by Nickhofen; 17-08-2017 at 08:45 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1Jumper10 View Post
    That contraption looks a little bit like a baby crib. Dont accidentally anodize the newborn :)

Congrats!
    Watching your build log with interest.
    That would certainly be one way to get into the newspapers....

Cheers chaps!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeeflyboy For This Useful Post:

I used 6mm size tubing , remember also the aeration, is really important to move the liquid.
    project 1 , 2, Dust Shoe ...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Boyan Silyavski For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Boyan Silyavski View Post
    I used 6mm size tubing , remember also the aeration, is really important to move the liquid.
    From the baby?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickhofen For This Useful Post:

I've never anodized before but if it's important to agitate the solution of sulfuric acid, I would be reluctant to use air to do it. I wouldn't want to create any kind of vapor to begin with and then I wouldn't want it being carried out into immediate area where it could cause problems. Breathing and corrosion and such. Is there some reason you couldn't use a motor driven polyethylene agitator? Just a thought...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 16 of 42 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread Information